Sign in to follow this  
Guest Freerk

How to fly the B737 after TOD

Guest Freerk

Goodafternoon fellow simmers,First place, I want to thank Gustav (Mahler?? :)) for all his efforts to get me the "Timothy Metzinger tutorial" Unfortunately my mailbox can not cope with 20MB.After trying several approaches on a certain runway,(e.g. EBBR, LFPG, LFMN etc) it is not possible for (me) the plane (B733) to capture localiser and after to capture g/s, even when ILS settings are o.k! I know how to fly an approache. (former PS-pilot) Is there, atleast one tutorial that dicribes, or a pilot wo can tell me how to fly a boeing 737 after TOD???Well, anyway thanks in advance, nice easter-days for everyone and happy landings (?)Regards Freek-EHAM

I can try to help, but I'm not exactly sure where you help is needed. If you are not lined up for approach because you are too high and or fast then you are asking about descent planning and execution, but if you are at the right speed and altitude to capture the LOC but fly right through it then you are asking about flying the transition from enroute to final. So here we go...The hardest part of descent execution is the planning, which the FMC does quite well except for constraints. Before starting down, plan and review the letdown by looking at the LEGS information ahead of you. You want to verify that it makes sense, and that it has you at a transition altitude (usually the lowest altitude on the STAR, such as 8000, 10,000 etc) even if you don't have an expected approach assigned yet. You've got more to work with if you do have an approach to expect, so use the info you have. I also enter at least two layers of wind to the descent FORECAST page; I use Active Sky but even if I don't have a forecast I put something in there for the FMC to use. At the same time you are reviewing the letdown, also look at the STAR chart for any constraints or notes that apply to you. I also listen to the radio chatter (real world) because if there is someone ahead of me going down the same path ahead of me I'll hear what to expect.If you are using VNAV, it is important to always monitor the aircraft's performance. Especially with the FMC constraints bug, it will very often pass a fix with an altitude constraint and fail to maintain the intended descent path. You'll see a purple bug on the VSI where there shouldn't be one unless you are in Vert Speed mode but never in VNAV mode, and the descent rate will be about 200 fpm. Sometimes you can turn off VNAV and turn back on and it will wake up and get you going down right now to catch up with the vertical path.I recommend using the VNAV, at least while learning, because it helps with the flying... but you gotta remain the pilot and keep and eye on it. I use it now (after a couple of months of learning) but only as a reference for descent rate and planning the legs ahead.I hope this helps a little, there are others here with help as well. However, if I missed your question I am very sorry.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest 744nut

Hi Freek,"to capture localiser and after to capture g/s"I think you are to much used to the 744 and especcially auto tuning ;-)to capture LOC and GS in the 737 you have to enter the ILS freq. and activate TWO autopilots manually...I think it will work thanTon

Guest Freerk

Goodafternoon Dan,Many thanks for yoyr explanation.I'm gonna work it out and keep you informed, if you don't mind.Best wishes Freek-EHAM