Sign in to follow this  

OK will this future proof my sim expierence ?

Guest NWB009

Today at work I recieved a 3rd PC, I normally use 2 PC's at work (hardware support engineer) anyway I was astonished to find it to be a 533 mHz front side bus with 2.53 CPU, typically were not lavished with really nices boxes at work, anyway turns out this is now the standard for any replacement PC's......so at home I'm thinking I'll probably replace my old P III 800 ( with 768 of ram and XP Pro)with something like this, only add a full 1 GB of DDR and the Ti 600.....will this finally end my anguish of only 6-8 fps....and for how long ?I usually only fly the PIC 767 with max sliders, and many,many scencery upgrades, both freeware and payware...

Funny--on two fronts. First, we have similar professions. I'm a network hardware/software admin and instructor, and am amazed as you are to see the advances in PC's...What's funny on the second front--I have a P3/800 at home, and find superior performance--averaging around 25 fps... Think the difference may be the max sliders--I lay off of the Autogen and especially, the AI. Those seem to bring the system to its knees (especially the AI). I also explore the 99.999 pct of the world outside of the fps killers of LAX, ORD and other "gated" airports. Even with AI on, I usually exceed 15 fps at the less traveled airports, and with AI off and the fps limiter off, 30-40 is more the norm for the less traveled airports.My point--if you're only getting 6-8 fps, it's due to compromises you've had to make in order to max scenery. Kill the AI, reduce the Autogen, and enjoy flight for flight's sake. Since we share the same profession, I strongly suspect that when you hit home, you leave the MB's, NIC's, routers and switches behind you. I'd bet you enjoy your PC for pure entertainment. I know I do mine, and I'd recommend 2k2 on a P3/800 anytime!-John

I do have similar outlook on simming & flying. I have autogen off, no AI and with PIII 500 I have a smooth 20 fps flying - specially with the 767PIC which I find extremely fps friendly. As to some of the add-on airports I am careful to avoid places that are notorious fps hogs but there are more & more airports these days that buck the trend and provide for optimized flying experience. Frankly with 6,8 fps I would not call it flying anymore.Michael J.

The PIII800 is great. Mine combined with the GF2GTS gets me 20 frames with it locked at 20 most of the time. Course AI is turned down and water reflections is off. A 533mhz is in my near future though. I run at 16x12x16 with autogen, scenery complexity and dynamic scenery on very dense. Just can't go that last notch.