Sign in to follow this  
Guest loveair

pmdg flightplan

Guest loveair

hi,can somebody please offer some help, how do we create a flightplan.i just bought this queen of the sky a few days ago.i have learn how to start from cold and dark in the cockpit.is it true that flightplan created using default fs9 cannot be use in the queen of the sky. if that is the case,hope somebody can help me.is there a tutorial?regards..

Hi thereIts good to see that you are getting to grips with the plane and obviously enjoying it. I am sure that you can use flight plans created with fs9, but those of us that strive for reality as much as possible do not use that database as it is quite old and does not offer sids and stars as far as i remember. So better alternatives are:1. Look at buying an commercially available package for flight sim. and the two that come to mind are.....Fsbuild, and Fsnavigator. I like them both so i have bought both and use them together.2. Use a web based planner, and there is a brilliant one here, and it has a free area for us simmers.http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/and the fun is in learning the packages and using them with your planes. Hope this helps, and of course you have loads to learn about programming the FMC so that you can input your flight plan when you have created it. If you are on a budget then use the fs9 one and use it to slowly learn the fmc programming, or the free web based one.regardsJohn CallejaBAW 352

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

My favorite source for real flightplans is flightaware.com where you can use the statistics page feature to enter a city pair and it provides all the flight plans in current use, as well as airline and type equipment flying it. Its only shortcoming is that is is US only.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest loveair

Hi, John And Dan, thanks for the information and link pointed to me.i heard about fsnavigator since fs2000 but did not dare to buy one as i believe i have to spend a long time understanding the programe. is it easy to use.i now used fs9 to create flightplan, but just didn't know how to put them in the fmc queen of the sky pmdg747-400 .further assistance and simple advise would be greatly appreciatei been a casual simmer since fs98 and is only begining to get serious recently. this is my second jumbo jet i bought. the first one is GIANT OF THE SKY,i bought many years ago, it also came with a FLIGHT MANAGEMENT COMPUTER (FMC). i didn't know i could get help from simmer friend here and some other good sites, i just put it aside as it is too difficult to understand the content for someone who just started out this almost as close to real interest.but this time round is difference, through the internet,i believepmdg and some other developer producers good flightsim products.i have chosen pmdg.this time round, i am serious, that why i sought help here.regards loveair

Hi againI am glad you found the advice useful. What you are aking now in my opinion is beyond what I can type in a forum reply. I am happy to answer what you may need to know about programming the fmc (to my level of understanding), after you have tried it and have particular problems which can be easily answered. To try and write here how to do it is just too much. So my advice to you now is to follow the links above with capt. randazzo's type course and learn slowly. It may take a few weeks for the complete course to become available as it is being offered in small chunks, but I am sure that you will be learning from experts, so its worth waiting for, and also as you know how to start up, still read and understabd part 1 as there may be bits in there you havent fully understood. Part 2 comes out next week. But still ask questions here, and the type course is the way to go. Oh and by the way, fsnavigator and fsnav are easy to learn, as is mastering the fmc, what is difficult is having the will to overcome obstacles and learn it.regardsJohn CallejaBAW352

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest benhoffman

I use the a combination of the RouteFinder, SimRoutes FSBuild, North Atlantic Tracks, Pacific Tracks, Jeppesen airway routing documents and high enroute charts when creating a route. US Domestic I use www.simroutes.comRouteFinder is good but it requires some manual tweaking.I know of FlightAware but don't use the routes from it simply because I feel that's "cheating" and I like to manually build my dispatch release including route up from scratch

Guest Ray51

I must agree. Inputting the flight plan into the FMC is a very necessary skill. No matter the source of my flight plan I manually input the waypoints. Since you can use shortcuts like via jetway etc this is not hard or time consumming to do. I read a post from a 744 pilot that talked about using RTE2 as a flight plan to divert to their alternate. That got me thinking. Building RTE2 as a departure air port to alternate airport flight plan, and by modifing the route inflight, All I have to due to divert is to callup RTE2 and activate it. Keeps my FO wake on those long flights...lol. But to use this feature you must know how to input and modify a flightplan. A skill you will not have if you import all your flightplans from an outside source. I have also seen where RTE2 can be used to show a weather front. By inputting a flight plan into RTE2 using the weather stations as waypoints you will see a dotted line showing where the weather front is located on your ND.Ray