Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

OK. Be honest. Anyone with an actual midair??

I've not been hit... Yet.I've had several instances of AI aircraft told, "Cleared to land. Number two for landing. Follow the Baron on final." I went a little low on the glideslope and had MD80s and B744s scream over the top of me.A couple of days ago, I had something scream right over the cabin of my King Air at FL310 at what can only be called an outrageous closing speed.I'm waiting to be run down... Maybe I should just start flying fast movers again.

Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!6/22/02 Airbus A-300-600-F FedEx flight 301. While on final approach at Memphis Intl. a Learjet 45 flying about 15 kts faster than my A-300 hit the aircraft straight in from the tail section. A-300 suffered an engine out condition but was able to land safely. Learjet? Well! Sorry about their luck!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest Martin

With AI turned up to almost past real world levels, I have seen a lot of strange and/or dangerous things happen between AI planes, but I have been careful enough to not be hit myself (although I admit that I sometimes delete potential conflict AI planes with AI View).This is my closest call. I managed to pull up and avoid him, with ATC screaming a little that I was at the wrong altitude. :-rollhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d3d545b551d65bd.jpgMartin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest Tim W

I was tail chasing some aircraft around O'Hare yesterday in the T-38, I was shadowing a Delta 737 on finals when he had to overshoot. I followed him and he headed north west at no more than 1500 ASL. I carried on tailing him for over 150 miles and he just kept on going without climbing. He was still going when I ran out of fuel and made a glide approach into a conveniently situated airfield!Oh for a couple of 20mm cannons!Tim

Guest Pardue802

I've recently observed all kindsa crazy on the ground after installing some supposedly add-on gates in hope PAI would work better. At EGLL I witnessed two planes that are eternally at the gate stuck in each other's wings. Not to mention when I was sitting in the middle of the taxiway getting things in order (in a Cessna), I almost got sandwiched between a 747 and an A300, I believe. I moved out of their way fearing for my itty bitty virtual life, and what happens? The two planes stare each other down for a bit, and run over each other turning onto the taxiway."Artificial intelligence is no replacement for natural stupidity," wasn't it said?Kenneth

Guest SKYGOD

i was in a hfg dc-8 in california and got hit by a cessna :( it clipped the left wing. I held on to for 15 secs then went straight into the ground. :(

Never ever..... Keep your eyes and ears open and get out of the way cos they sure as heck won't..... I run ATC at 33% which helps above that and you get problems.:-)Pete

OK. Well it seems that the majority of midairs we are in seem to be us getting hit from the rear! Which seems to be an AI problem because it is hard to image a pilot not being able to avoid a midair if he is heading for a plane stright on in good visibility (unless he/she just is not looking out the window for an extended period of time. On the other hand, as for us who get rear ended, it would be very dificult for us to avoid the crash because it is almost impossible for us to see the plane comming at us from that direction (unless we got tiped off from ATC or something).As for those of us who were in a midair and NOT hit from the rear, did it make you stop and think "What if I was not in the sim"???Thanks for the replys.Mark McLeroy

It happened to me. Here is my post mortum pirep from the incident:Well....I'm dead! I thought I would fly the DC-3 around the patch last night just to keep my feet wet. That was not such a good idea! Being it was late afternoon and a Sunday, there isn't much traffic around, so I didn't use radios. Well, all was going good. Nice taxi and takeoff. Great climb and big DC-3 pattern. Flying in the downwind I was looking for inbound traffic. Nothing spotted. Turned base and still watching for traffic. Nothing spotted. Just before turning final I looked one more time to my left for inbound traffic. All clear. GREAT! Rolled out from base to final on the money. all lined up. Looking at red and white on the vasi. 100kts, full flaps, holding my angle just fine. slowing to 95kts and about 200' from the end of the runway, about 100' in the air. All looking so good. BANG!!! The airplane actually shook and stopped! I looked out the window and saw a Lear go by! The DC-3 was crippled so bad, it fell straight down, no glide at all. DOA! Lesson learned. RADIOS ALL THE TIME at Bethel!Don

Hi,This was happening to me: I was chasing a heavy with a Mig-21. And I was slowly closing in. Suddently some debris was coming from the AI-plane and hitted me in the Mig21! The Mig became uncontrollable and was going down with fire effects on the airplanes body!hm (A DC3 AND Mig21 lover)

Hi, I've had a midair before. I was cruising in the 182 up the east Florida coast at about 5000. ATC advised me that there was an aircraft at my 12 o'clock 1000ft below me. Well.....he was wrong the other aircraft, (i think it was a 172) was climbing and coming right at me. Before I could realize what was going on it was too late. I was in spot view, and for just a split second I heard another aircraft's engine really close, and I could swear I saw a flash of white just before my engine died and I fell out of the sky.Also i've seen AI run into each other, or at least I think so. I was on final for runway 9 at SVMI(venezuela, simon bolivar intl.) when I heard ATC give vectors for the approach to 2 aircraft behind me. I looked back to see a 747 turning to final with a md-80 right behind it. This was at about 2200ft. I ignored them and continued on final. 15 seconds later when I looked back again, I saw the 747 established behind me.. but the md 80 was in an 80 degee bank and headed straight down. I looked like it tried to recover but it was too late. It hit the sea and disappeared.well... thats my storyDB

One collision and one close call.THE COLLISION:When I first started using FS2K I had experience in IFR and VFR from other flight sims. I was flying a Cessna 172 on takeoff at LAX. I followed ATC's directions to takeoff VFR. I took off and in a downwind was a LearJet. As he was circling around so fast I barely saw him and went right into him. I heard that "crashing" sound and when I went into spot view mode the simulation had sort of stopped and said at the top in red print "Aircraft Crash". Why didn't my plane flutter to the ground damaged like in real-life? Instead the simulation just reset.THE CLOSE CALL:A few days ago I was flying VFR from KPVD in Rhode Island to KJFK. I had "filed" a "virtual" flight plan (very unrealistic, how the heck do I plan my own waypoints, I had to let the sim generate them!). I was told to go around after being cleared to land. I did. I was finally cleared for rw 31L and began my glidescope. while at about 1000' and on final for runway 31L following a LearJet in as ATC had requested ATC clears 3 OTHER AI aircraft to land. The other aircraft just happened to be Boeing class while I was Cessna Amphibian. I was number one to land, a boeing 737 was number two and a King Air was three. The Boeing 737 shot right over me by about 50'! The turbulance from wake sent me in to land in the harbor. Good thing I was flying an amphibious aircraft.:) :) I wish AI and ATC were more intelligent!

I indeed had a collision, not while landing or taking off, but while cruising at 30,000 ft. I was flying a 737 from New York City to Minneapolis very late at night, so I did not have the advantage of being able to see my surroundings. Somewhere over Pennsylvania the ATC suddenly yelled at me: "Aircraft at 10 o'clock!" I was stunned because the ATC hadn't given a warning before then, and I quickly scanned around the cockpit to try to sight the incoming aircraft. That was a fatal mistake; a few seconds later I was hit by an object so fast I couldn't even see it, and my plane fell to the ground in several pieces. The AI aircraft, of course, continued its flight :(. I realize that I should have changed altitude immediately rather than try to sight the aircraft, but I must admit that I didn't take the ATC warning very seriously. I figured the probably of a midair collision occuring was incredibly small, and in the worst case would have been a close call (of which I had quite a few in the past). The fact that the aircraft hit me from the 10 o'clock position is very interesting, since that is one of the hardest intercepts to achieve. I don't keep my AI traffic at a very high setting either--only 33%. Hopefully I won't have to deal with something like that again... -Derek D.

LESSONS LEARNED:Altough never had it, a steep decend will help... I gonna try this when needed.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdMy help may not me much usefull, or usefull much..eh?http://people.zeelandnet.nl/johd/index2/Ar...s/Leg1/klm5.jpgTrue Blue! K L M!