Sign in to follow this  
dogs53

STARS/SIDS Missing

I know that this topic has been touched several of times in this forum, but I am still not understanding exactly what to do.... Problem is that I am missing STARS & SIDS from some major airports (KORD and KSEA to name a few). I have tried to download the info from the Plane Path site, and I can't get any improvement. And, also, I am getting several error messages saying something like "RW 10 doesn't exist". I have no problem purchasing updates if need be, but when you go to the Navigraph site, but I don't know how many credits to buy and if it really works.Can someone post a simple 1, 2, 3, step approach on how to do this as I am confused by the other postings on this subject.Thanks.Bob

Step 1: Get a current set of NAVDATA from Navigraph (It's not free but it's not much either).Step 2: Navigraph will give you both navdata and sidstar files, if you want customized terminal procedures, add these after the Navigraph data is installed. (Planepath procedures are not "customized").I think I buy 200 credits at a time, you'll use 20 per cycle and they expire after a time so there's no use buying more. They also allow you to prepay for an entire year (I think), regardless the info is available at their site once you find it.The problem at KORD is due to runway number changes. There is now a RNW 10 so if you have new sidstars and old navdata you will get this error message.See also: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/SIDSTARSHope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

>Step 1: Get a current set of NAVDATA from Navigraph (It's not>free but it's not much either).>>Step 2: Navigraph will give you both navdata and sidstar>files, if you want customized terminal procedures, add these>after the Navigraph data is installed. (Planepath procedures>are not "customized").>>I think I buy 200 credits at a time, you'll use 20 per cycle>and they expire after a time so there's no use buying more.>They also allow you to prepay for an entire year (I think),>regardless the info is available at their site once you find>it.>>The problem at KORD is due to runway number changes. There is>now a RNW 10 so if you have new sidstars and old navdata you>will get this error message.>>See also: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/SIDSTARS>>Hope this helps.Thanks -- Sounds straight forward. This is making me feel much better about buying the data from Navigraph. It appears from the above that you use it. Does it come with a pretty simple installer? Any cautions about using it?And, after I purchase it, will it be current with the Chicago & Seattle Sids and Stars? The link above, says something about it not being available (I think), but that might have been changed now.And, do you know if I use the same one on Level D because I am considering buying the Level D767? I have the PlanePath one installed now, but something must be wrong b/c the KORD and KSEA (plus I don't know which others) indicate no SIDS/STARS here, and I know that they are in the file because I can read them.Tks again. Sorry to bother you with this, but I want to be careful and fly accurately.Bob

Guest Ryan Briggs

Bob, Here's how the Navigraph system works, if you go to Navigraph.com and click the FMS Section you will see a long list of Files to choose from, the LevelD 767 is supported for AIRAC and SIDS/STARS, so you will stay up to date with the real world through Navigraph, The system uses a very user friendly and easy installer, just a couple clicks and all the data's where it needs to be, unlike now, where your PMDG Airac is old something like 05xx or 06xx the Current Airac is 0808, that's probably why the planepath Data doesnt work for you, the Navigraph data is however, Much better. as far as purchasing goes you buy Credits 100 Credits at a time as a minimum, you can always get more if/when you want them, Say you decide to spend that Only on Airac/Sid's Star's, Each Cycle Costs 20 credits and when you Spend those twenty credits you get the Cycle for EVERY airplane that Navigraph supports, so LDS PMDG PSS Digital Aviation, Wilco Feelthere etc. etc. You get them all for that 20 credits, A new cycle comes out every month and then you have to re-use 20 more credits for the new dataso100 Credits Costs 10 Euros, or about 15 bucks20 credits Per Airac Cycle at One cycle per Month 5 Months of Up To date data.For Navigraph's Service you Pay about 3 dollars a Month for a full Up to date FMC on all your FS addons =], It is Well worth the money spent

Thanks.. I will probably do that. I am feeling bettter about the process.I'd hate to spend the $ only for a few airports (KORD and KSEA -- that I fly to w/o SIDS/STARS), but I guess it is better to do that and have everything current. I was hoping to make Planepath work ok, but I guess that it is a matter of versions, as you say.But, I presume (correct me if I am wrong here) if I do it, that the STARS and SIDS will then show up at KORD and KSEA.Tks again.Bob

Once you have navdata and sidstars current or the same cycle then KORD and KSEA will work. These are two places that have had runway renumbering recently, and you most likely have a mismatch between your navdata and sidstars.Stay away from navdata.at; that site doesn't allow updates to sidstars for PMDG so the ones listed are starting to get stale.The Navigraph update comes inside an easy to use installer, and you can select either or both FS9 and FSX (if both, you have to run it twice). After you install those, please give the US sidstars that I maintain in a collection of 68 locations a try. The latest cycle, 0809, is available now in the avsim library (filename: cycle_0809_sidstars.zip). These have a lot of customization added to the "as published" procedures such as NOATC departures at KORD where there are no published departures except the vectors-only chart. This means you can select a runway and a NOATC SID to any fix that is in common use by real traffic and I provide a realistic route to that fix. I also connect the STARs to approaches so you can fly almost any arrival and it provides a route all the way to the FAF of the approach. Pretty handy if you're not using an ATC service such as VATSIM, and if you are then I provide the "as-published" procedures so you are still compatible. I get about 700 downloads a month and few error reports. Hope you like them.

Dan Downs KCRP

>Once you have navdata and sidstars current or the same cycle>then KORD and KSEA will work. These are two places that have>had runway renumbering recently, and you most likely have a>mismatch between your navdata and sidstars.>>Stay away from navdata.at; that site doesn't allow updates to>sidstars for PMDG so the ones listed are starting to get>stale.>>The Navigraph update comes inside an easy to use installer,>and you can select either or both FS9 and FSX (if both, you>have to run it twice). After you install those, please give>the US sidstars that I maintain in a collection of 68>locations a try. The latest cycle, 0809, is available now in>the avsim library (filename: cycle_0809_sidstars.zip). These>have a lot of customization added to the "as published">procedures such as NOATC departures at KORD where there are no>published departures except the vectors-only chart. This means>you can select a runway and a NOATC SID to any fix that is in>common use by real traffic and I provide a realistic route to>that fix. I also connect the STARs to approaches so you can>fly almost any arrival and it provides a route all the way to>the FAF of the approach. Pretty handy if you're not using an>ATC service such as VATSIM, and if you are then I provide the>"as-published" procedures so you are still compatible. I get>about 700 downloads a month and few error reports. Hope you>like them.>Thanks for everyone for the information. Based on the above, I need to download the Navigraph data, install it, and then get the "cycle_0809_sidstars.zip" from AVSIM... Is this correct? Will it just work with the "cycle_0809_sidstars.zip" without downloading the Navigraph files? Over 90% of my flights are US only, therefore will your file cover me for the missing SIDS/Stars? Or do I need both? If I need both, I'll do it, but would love to save the $. Thanks again.Bob

Guest Ryan Briggs

Bob, I dont think you get the point, it Isnt the Actual SID/STAR file that is missing, it's the Missing information from the AIRAC that is preventing the SID/STAR from working Properly, You need to update the AIRAC to get the PROCEDURES to show up, as of Today Navigraph has a Monopoly on Navdata AIRAC's, and just so happens they where nice enough to keep it cheap as well as Do SIDS and STARS, the data from Navigraph is Mandatory, the File from Avsim is Optional

Exactly as Ryan said.The sidstar procedures require current info in the navdata, at least runway designators. The navdata defines the runway, the procedure file uses it. That's one of the reasons the two data stores should be of the vintage.

Dan Downs KCRP