Sign in to follow this  
Brian Doney

2D Panel views, available now.

hey gents,forgive my ignorance. but what is this for? i don't understand. can't you get these views from using the POV thumbpad on your yoke to get these views?tomas

Thomas-You can- although some users want only a static 2D artwork rendered view in order to be friendly on frame rates....Bryan has put together a set for both the 400 and 400F...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks for the clarification Robert. And would one toggle between these views by using the default FS9 "S" key? I ask because there was no instructions in the read me file that teaches one to use the views.regards,tomas

Huh ?EDIT: Just to say, these files are for those that for whatever reason do NOT want to use the VC, even if only for side views.If you are happy with the VC, than these will be of little use to you.From the ReadMe:747-400 2D Side ViewsThe files contained in this zip are intended for use with the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies base product only. Use of these files with the PMDG 747-400F Cargo expansion product is not recommended. Installation Instructions:First, BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL PANEL.CFGThis is NOT OPTIONAL :)Ok, moving on:Second, BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL PANEL.CFG, I'm not kidding, and I know you haven't done so yet !Next, extract the 7 bitmaps (.bmp) contained in this zip file to your PMDG747-400panel folder.747400_BB.bmp747400_LB.bmp747400_LF.bmp747400_LS.bmp747400_RB.bmp747400_RF.bmp747400_RS.bmpThe following sections (2) will need to be added/replaced in your PMDG747-400panelpanel.cfg file:Fixed Window32=FORWARD_RIGHTFixed Window33=FORWARD_LEFTFixed Window34=LEFTFixed Window35=REAR_LEFTFixed Window36=RIGHTFixed Window37=REAR_RIGHTFixed Window38=REAR[VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=20,21,22,23,24VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=3.5,0.0,0.0VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_WINDOWS=32VIEW_RIGHT_WINDOWS=36VIEW_REAR_RIGHT_WINDOWS=37VIEW_REAR_WINDOWS=38VIEW_REAR_LEFT_WINDOWS=35VIEW_LEFT_WINDOWS=34VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_WINDOWS=33You will notice these sections are already present, please be sure to remove/overwrite them with the above.Load the sim, and be sure to UNCHECK the option to display the virtual cockpit in the PMDG options module.Should you wish to revert back to the VC for any reason, simply comment out each Fixed WindowXX entry, like so://Fixed Window32=FORWARD_RIGHT//Fixed Window33=FORWARD_LEFT//Fixed Window34=LEFT//Fixed Window35=REAR_LEFT//Fixed Window36=RIGHT//Fixed Window37=REAR_RIGHT//Fixed Window38=REARThen CHECK the option to display the virtual cockpit in the PMDG options module.That should do it, hope you enjoy.Best to all.BrianWhat more instruction do you need ? I'm really not sure I undestand what you are missing.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Just to add a bit more..The motivation for creating these views was entirely based on my own desire to disable the VC, yet still have some semblance of the great perspective the VC provides looking in any direction but forward.For me, the PMDG VC performs very well, for all it's complexity, 90% of the time. Amazingly well, in fact.Having said that, the other 10% of the time, I have had issues with performance, and after months upon months of trying to find a good balance, I decided for myself to give up using it all together, to achieve more consistent performance.I have been unable to definitively determine why I have the issues I have with the VC; it seems I am most definitely in the minority here. These issues are also most certainly NOT exclusive to the PMDG VC, in fact, all VC equipped aircraft I own will suffer the same performance hit from time to time, without any obvious trigger.I have had wonderful performance with it at a busy LAX, weather, traffic, etc, and other times had terrible performance at cruise with nary a cloud in sight and traffic disabled. This inconsistency is unacceptable for me, and is completely remedied by disabling the VC and using the 2D panel exclusively.If you are in the majority and do not have issues with the VC, or prefer the VC even if you take a bit of a hit from time to time, then these files will not be for you.I hope this helps clear up what the point of this is.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest Matthias1975

Great job Brian, but may I ask if you thought of making also this views from the FO seat?Asking

Matthias,It really hadn't crossed my mind, so thank you for bringing it up.I'd be glad to, and will keep this post updated.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Thanks! I'll use them!

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest stefanwa

Please excuse, but why does Brian have a "Level-D" sig? ;)Just kidding, nice addition.Steve, already looking forward to the A320!

Stefan,I'm not a member of PMDG, just a regular user, and that sig banner has been there since long before the 744 was released.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Brian, I like your style. Thanks for this worthy and mature contribution. CheersGareth