Sign in to follow this  
Guest AJ

Loading the -400F

Guest AJ

In the spirit of achieving greater realism, I was wondering if anyone has more information on the procedure for loading cargo into the -400F? When not carrying a full load, how is the cargo typically arranged on the main deck? I assume that it is not just tossed in randomly. Is it simply done from front to back,with the pallets sitting two by two? Or do the start in the middle closer to the CG and work theri way forward and bak simultaneously? Or, perhaps, is it preferable to arrange the pallets along one side so as to allow a clear corridor and easier access?Just curious was the preferred method is?Andrew

Talking with a dispatcher recently I was told that the C of G is the paramount consideration after the handling of dangerous goods is taken care of. Loading a partial haul starts from the centre of gravity 'point' then forward and aft from there. I'm not sure how much the 747 CofG changes during a flight due to fuel burn, but as long as the cargo positioning didn't cause the CofG to migrate out of an acceptable range that's be sufficient.Anyone want to offer a 'from the horses mouth' perspective on this? I have to admit the guy I was talking to had a few holes in his stories that made me wonder about the truth in his statements.Incidentally, if you load a whole bunch of pallets down the back of the 747, using the load manager, does it affect the CofG? I always load as outlined above so I'm not sure.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest AJ

It definitely affects it. Notice that the FMC changes its recommended takeoff trim respectively in the PERF page.Andrew

Guest AJ

Bump. I thought maybe some folks missed this.Andrew

Guest MD11loader

While I can't speak for the 744F, I can speak for the MD11F, you have to worry about a lateral imalance, the MD11 only allows for a +/- 30,000 lb (give or take a few) difference between the left and right side. When I plan my load sheet, I usualy try and put equal pallet weights togehter. If I put a 7300 lb pallet in 6L I try and put a similar weight in 6R. Of course its not always possible to do that, but I try my best. As far as the loading proceedure, not every main deck spot can hold every type of pallet. If you are given a 20 footer, it can only go in certain posistions. But thats problably more than the FS model has :)A slightly tail heavy CG results in the best fuel burn and performance overall. Hope that helps.