Sign in to follow this  
Guest airchile

Stringing Special Legs.

Guest airchile

Hi,I am very new to PMDG 747.In real Aviation Scenario there are various special legs that Are flown. I am looking how to String this in FMS?Is there any way where we can string our own procedures?For example. In real world FMS, once you string a ILS 26 to KATL and come via ATL there is a Published Procedure Turn.Check the plate at www.airnav.comWhen i string this in PMDG I get a Discon and then the next waypoint.Is there any way where I can string this? Also it is to be noted thatthese legs are Performance based Legs. Meaning the outbound leg should be flown for a minute. So the length of each leg is constructed based on the speed of the aircraft at which it is flying or expected to be flown.So how to string these in PMDG and fly in managed (LNAV/VANV) Modes?Please answer.Thanks a lot in Advance

Guest airchile

Hello Sam,Thanks a lot for posting the reply.I did download the latest data for the KATL for the Navdata.atBut the ILS 26 procedure has a published Procedure Turn.I strung the SINCA# Approach and used ATL as VIA.So the route goes away from the VOR and then as per the procedure(refer the chart at airnav.com and refer to attachment)After crossing KINKY one needs to take a Procedure Turn.I do not see this being strung ???I guess one needs to manually string it or fly manually using A/P.But have you tried any of this kind of approach where FMS has strung a procedureturn upon inserting an Approach procedure???If yes, Please share. Also now since we know that KATL as a procedure turn andthe data downloaded by navdata.at does not have can we create one by modifying thetext file?? I hope I have stated my intentions clear.Kindly answer. Thanks a lot again for the post.

The FMC doesn't do procedure turns, which most cases isn't a big deal since they can be flown using HDG and SPEED on the MCP. More to the point, ATC is not routing traffic into KATL via procedure turns, or any other major traffic hub that I know of. There's just too much traffic. The controller is vectoring aircraft to intercept the final approach course -- usually a 30 deg intercept outside the IAF.It is possible to modify the KATL.txt file in your SIDSTARS folder to add something of a procedure turn, but it takes trial and error to get it set up right with custom waypoints and so on. You might try this just for the challange and the heck of it. I've been doing such things for departure procedures that have loops and course reversals in them.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest D17S

Sounds like those procedure turns are the procedures for general aviation traffic. Humm, I wonder. A little VFR sightseeing in 747? Those procedure turns might come in handy. Vatsim. Look out. I looked at ATL a bit today. They have twin parallel runways. Typicaly that arrangement uses the outboards for landing and the inboards for TOs. So set yourself with an approach to an outboard runway for landing. FSNavigator has a friendly interface for basic flight planning and can export to the PMDG FMC. Concentrating on STARS and IAPs might be more real world oriented for this kind of flying. But that VFR low and slow in a 747 does sound fun. Give us your departure point and we'll help you set up a STAR>IAP approach so you can see what's going on with this stuff.