Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick Bartolotta

737 FMC & V-speeds

Guest 102301636

Hi all,Just for purposes of clarification, I don't work for PMDG and am not affiliated with them in any way...I'm just another avid simmer like everyone else...also with regards the continuation of your problem with rotation there is definately something amiss there, I will set up my NG later on tonight and try a takeoff with the settings you have specified...to see where I get airborne at, can you provide fuel figures etc etc..thanks

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Thanks Alan,Not sure what the bit about not working for PMDG was about - just grateful for the help from people.I'm at work so can't provide any figures yet - I'll try tomorrow.

Guest 102301636

was replying to post 13 not yours when I was on about not working for PMDG sorry about that mix up...if you can post up the figures that would be great, I won't be around tomorrow so I will take a look on Thurs

Guest isagani67

Morning Dave,Ah Huh..Now I know, I took off with all clear blue sky and you took off having head wind, of course it affect accelleration. Try 5flaps it helps. We'll continue experimenting as real-world pilot does.try visit FL350. If you view those real videos you might not believe its happening in real. We have much better landing manuevers I think.Regards,

Guest isagani67

Hello Alan,Sorry for identifying you with PMDG. I'm sure they won't mind. We are their pilots in the end.. Ha.ha.ha.Fuel consumption varies a lot. There are many factors you have to consider; Tail/Head Wind; Flight level; Weight; Speed, etc.First time I did it was I took off from KSAN-KSFO without hold patern-clear sky and made a note the following;1. Fuel Load before engine start2. Gross Weight3. Flight level4. Speed-This time do not increase-leave it to ECON5. Distance6. Flying timeNow you will be able to calculate your total fuel burnt on that flight. I always add 30% reserve as long as I don't cross the Max. T/O weight and should be below Max. Landing Weight on final approach. What I do is reduce my cargo, there I can add more fuel for my next destination without loading fuel again.Hope this helps.Isagani P.S. You can also review the manual specially the Performance & LIMITATIONS

Hi Dave,You need to use a higher flap setting for such a short runway. Southampton's (EGHI) runway length is 5653 ft/1723 meters at an elevation of 44 feet above sea level. You can only make a legal takeoff from such a short field in the 737-800 with flaps 25, and you're takeoff weight is limited to about 146, 000 lb at standard day temperature (15 degrees C) with no wind. At standard day + 15 degrees C, your takeoff weight would be limited to 142,000 lb.You can't get this information from the performance data supplied by PMDG, but if you can interpret the charts, Boeing provides some generic performance charts for the 737 here: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/737sec3.pdfDon S.

> We'll continue experimenting as>real-world pilot does.>Real world pilots do not experiment with takeoff performance!Don S.

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Thanks Don,Very helpful. I didn't realise you could take off with flaps set that high - i'll give it a try but won't this amount of drag reduce the acceleration ? On my last attempt with flaps 10 and a 15kt headwind, temp 10c (I think), these are the weights from the PMDG Load Utility:-Forward cargo 1830Aft 5250Pax weight 26640Max TOW 153500Max ZFW 120500ZFW 116720Max possible fuel load 36780So maybe a tad overweight for the runway.I'm at work so will try again later in the week - is there that much difference between the 700 and 800 ?

For the -700, you're better off using Flaps 10. At standard day temp, the max takeoff weight would be about 152,000 lb, while at standard + 15 C it would be about 147,000 lb. This is for zero winds, with a headwind your max allowable takeoff weight would be higher.Generally, the higher the flap setting, the better the field performance, but the worse the climb performance. The shorter the runway, the larger the flap deflection that is needed.Flaps 25 is the highest approved takeoff flap setting for the 737NG.Don

Guest isagani67

Hello Don,Good morning to you. I think I just misused the word Experiment. What I meant here is Practice+Experience+Experiment= Success or Failure. What is written in the book was a by product of experiment and analisis then becomes a procedure once it is adopted and proven that it does really works. How does BOEING certify that 747 can fly with just 2 engine if there was no test flight? Was it an experiment? What we do here is share an ideas since we do not have a proffesional flight instructor to tell us do this and do that. Well I have done many experiment with both my 737&747 and it works and some failed. If PMDG claimed that all these aircrafts are performing the same as the real one then I should have a high crash rate.If you have time please visit usatoday.com ( ask the pilot column). BA747 flight from KLAX to EGLL I think. One engine failed on T/O but the pilot continue the trip across the atlantic??? Considering all the factors yes he did although he made an emergency landing before reaching its destination. Regards,

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Don,Thanks for that although looking at my figures they are not far off what you state as a minimum ( I set flaps 10) and I did have a 15kt headwind so can't really see why I can't get off the ground. Having just read an accident report on the Air Accidents Investigation website involving a 737 from Newcastle (April 2006 bulletin) I wonder if I need to do a 'no-bleeds' take off to give me extra power.Anyone any thoughts on this ?

Dave,Sorry, I should have said that the takeoff performance figures I quoted are for a bleeds off takeoff.Don