Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

Rudder realism

Hi,Read par2 of the training about takeoff with engine out. Excellent tutorials. In this situation, rudder control is needed to keep going straight.I finally got my CH rudder (gameport) to work with my other USB input devices, so I'm now able to do some cool things mentined in the training.However, in FS9's realism settings, should I un-check autorudder? If I un-check autorudder, that means turns will no longer be auto coordinated--the real aircraft is auto coordinated. Wondering what PMDG would recommend for the auto rudder option in FS9 if one has rudder pedals. I don't want to use the pedals while in flight, unless in a x-wind landing situation. Thanks,PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Pat-Turn it off....In the real world- there is no such thing as auto-coordinated. ;-)We have a functional and accurate yaw damper model which will handle the wigglies for you. Get MSFS's "simplicity" stuff out of the way as much as possible and you'll enjoy the way the airplane flies....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Robert,Thanks for the reply. I will turn off autorudder in FS9.This means that while hand flying, I still have to input rudder to keep the slip/skid box from drifting around?PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Pat, I am fairly sure that rudder is not used manually on airliners in the air very often - only for crosswinds on the runway and approaches, and for engines failing. I don't think there's any need to give rudder input when turning in the air, the yaw damper should do its work for you automatically if needed.I may be wrong, but I am fairly sure this is right.Rudy

"This means that while hand flying, I still have to input rudder to keep the slip/skid box from drifting around?"Pat, the Yaw Damper System has nothing to do with the Autopilot. It uses completely separate computers.The Yaw Damper system feeds into the rudder system using electrohydaulic servo valves (EHSV's) which are piggy-backed onto the hydraulic power actuators of the rudder surfaces.For Yaw Damper ops, you need hydraulics, electric power and IRU's. The YD system also has dedicated accelerometers for measuring fuselage twist.Cheers.Q>

Thanks All,I will rely on the YD while in flight to make coordinated turns, unless encountering abnormals or approaching rw for alignment or x-wind landing.Pedals sure make ground steering and decrabbing easier. PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2