Sign in to follow this  
Guest Savage

NAV Database

Guest Savage

Hi,This is not really related to flying, so I'm hoping it won't be to much of topic... I'm busy looking at into developing various applications to use and ease some of our unique problems in the virtual aviation world... The 767PIC and PMDG's nav database uses the same database format, and as such I've decided to use the same database as well to get navigation data for my applications.I've managed to decrypt most of the files and everything seems to be fine so far, but I can't seem to get the hang arround the format of the runways database (wpNavAPT).From what I can gather, I have the Airport Name, Runway, some things I don't get, LAT, LON, ILS Freq, OBS (I think?), and more things I don't get.Can anyone perhaps clear this up for me?

Guest Hawkeyeted

Perhaps airport elevation?

Guest Savage

>Perhaps airport elevation?That seems to be the last 4 chars yes. There's still allot more information in there that I'm not getting... :(Arn't these databases documented somewhere???

I just happen to be trying to update wpNavAPT.txt and wpNavAID.txt with the new runway at St Louis Lambert...I've already done this at KMCO Orlando. The new Lambert runway 11/29 is (Lambert St Louis Intl preceeds each line):KSTL11 09001121 38.760000 -90.409875111.9512100605KSTL29 09001301 38.746793 -90.383163111.9530100605Runway ID, Length (9001ft), heading (mag), lat, lon, LOC (111.95), LOC course and elev (605 in FS9)Minor problem, the PMDG refuses to recognize new runway 11... so when troubleshooting I copied runway 6 data and renamed it runway 7, entered the spoof in the rnws list in the sidstars file and it worked. Now I am verrry puzzled. I can create a fake runway but not a real one. Geeze.I've left a note on the NAVData forum but it doesn't get looked at very often. Any ideas appreciated.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Savage

>Minor problem, the PMDG refuses to recognize new runway 11...>so when troubleshooting I copied runway 6 data and renamed it>runway 7, entered the spoof in the rnws list in the sidstars>file and it worked. Now I am verrry puzzled. I can create a>fake runway but not a real one. Geeze.Thank you very much for the info! :)Just as a matter of a test, try removing some other runway, then add a new one and see if that works. I know from experience, FSPassengers limits the amount of lines that it reads from the files (a bit silly IMHO), PMDG might be doing the same...

I have effectively already tried that with the fake KSTL7 test, which worked although it added another line to the file size. It dawned on me this morning in my commute that I used a tab char and maybe it needs spaces to correctly parse the data. I'll try that when I get back home later. Thanks for the idea tho -- I was totally out of them.

Dan Downs KCRP

Problem solved and new Rnw 11/29 added at KSTL! Just as I suspected, but had to get home to try... the information in the NAVData files are column specific, which means you can't use tab chars must use spaces and fixed width font.Add the following two lines to wpNavAPT.txt navdata file:Lambert St Louis Intl KSTL11 09001121 38.760000 -90.409875111.9512100605Lambert St Louis Intl KSTL29 09001301 38.746793 -90.383163111.9530100605I've also decoded the wpNavAID.txt data for the ILS but I need to play with it a little more. I suspect that it puts the LOC at runway approach end, not the actual location of the real world antenna at the opposite end. Regardless, I'll be uploading a new KSTL SIDSTARS file soon, and the scenery library already has an input from William Morgan with the new runway: Search for kstlnewrunway.zip

Dan Downs KCRP