Sign in to follow this  
Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Disappointment in Frankfurt....

Hi Folks,After doing some research on the net, I was really looking forward to experiencing Frankfurt's impressive skyline while flying with FS2K2 - especially considering that MS advertised it as a "high detail" area. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find 2 custom buildings - the Commerzbank Zentrale and the MesseTurm (Trade Fair Tower). These buildings are impressive; but they're located pretty far west of the city near Mainz (along the Rhein) - everything else is just "plain" autogen. I'm not complaining (I was actually pretty impressed with the MS rendition of downtown Berlin); but I expected to see a little more detail in central Frankfurt. Is it just my system or did MS mislead us a bit about the scenery complexity around EDDF?Thanks,Marc

Hi Marc,your impression is correct, sad but true :(MS really did a fairly bad job at not only conveying a sense of density in this very dense spot in germany (it isnt called "Mainhattan" for no reason), but I found the modeling of the buildings lacking too.With all detail settings maxed out, I could only find a very poor representation (which doesnt come close to the original) of the television tower (lovingly called "Ginnheimer Spargel" by the locals), the commerzbank building and the messetower, which look pretty chunky.What about the bridges (eiserner Steg), the Deutsche Bank Building, the BFG-Building, the newly erected Japan Center and all the others? Maybe I should create some custom scenery to make up for it, but I havent got the time...Anyway I assume your observation is correct. I lived in Frankfurt for more than 20 years, so I know what I am talking about. I didnt have too high expectations though, so I wasnt utterly disappointed... the thing that makes it up for me is the great german aiports 2 with a detailed depiction of EDDF.Thanks for listening,celticmatrix

Hi,beside the excellent GAP scenery for the airport there is a very good scnenery for Frankfurt itself. I did not find it at Avsim but you might have a look at this other 'flightsim' website and look for mturm202.zip. It is constantly being developed and many new buildings and details added each time.Regards,Marcus

celticmatrix, here you find a great FS2002 Frankfurt/Main City-scenery, but no river Main is modeled. http://gurevich.bei.t-online.de/flightsim/news_de.htmlBest Regards and safe flights!Holger (German Eagle) SchleenhainRuesselsheim (near EDDF):-wave GERMANY :-wave____________________________________________________________________Windows XP Prof.AMD Athlon 1330 DDR-266; ASUS A7A266; 512MB-DDRASUS AGP-V8200 T5 Pure (nVIDIA gFORCE3 Ti 500) 64MB DDR-SDRAM, Det. 23.11SB PCI 512CH Flight Sim Yoke USB CH Pro Pedals USBGoFlight-user

Hi guys,Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions. I'll be sure to check out the "alternative" scenery. Based on my past experience with German scenery designers, I'm sure it will be well worth the download!Thanks again,Marc

Hiya,I can also very highly recommend that addon scenery. Not only is it a great piece of software, but if you plan to attend the "Frankfurt flight simulation monthly meeting" ( more info here: http://www.flusi-stammtisch-ffm.de ) you will not only be able to talk with other simmers about the addon, but you also very likely meet Oleg Gurewitch himself, wo is the author of the software :-)Yours,Martin Georg/EDDFTeamchef Eurowings VAmailto:teamchef@ewgva.dehttp://home.t-online.de/home/martin_georg/pictures/EW_MG.jpg

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I'm sorry to say that Frankfurt is not the only place that suffers from the lack of detail. Even if detail is there the scenery might be as much as 90% wrong.I can't get it out of my mind that during the delay of the release of FS2002 by MS, for the known reasons, they messed everything up, all around the world! And not only scenery, but flight models and such things too. I had the oportunity to check the last beta some time ago and it was very different/better than the final version.IMHO 'someone' instructed MS to do those changes...Even in Athens, the ancient Panathinaiko Stadium, which is made by marble, and was recreated in good detail in FS2000 was replaced by an ultra modern football stadium in FS2002 !!!!In London, the Millenium dome is about 10nm off position oposite to the Big Ben where the London Eye fairy wheel actually resides.And I'm sure others have noticed even more 'discrepancies'.At least for some areas there are corrected sceneries by several designers.George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas