Sign in to follow this  
Guest Savage

Bug??

Guest Savage

Hi,I'll try reproduce if needed, here's the story... Semi formation flight, had a plane at my 3, about 0.9nm. Got the whole TCAS advisories (TA/RA Mode). I then switched my TCAS to XPDR, and whola... Microsoft Visual C++, Runtime Error :(This is on the Queen, 744 all patches and working flawlessly (except for this).Any suggestions welcome - though I do agree, flying so close to someone else in a 744 is more than likely not advised.... :)

Guest Jock in a Frock

PMDG have fully simulated the TCAS on the B744, so the Visual Basic runtime error is Boeing's dodgy coding in the 744 ;)Andy Scholes.

Guest svedman

Actually, I think you should try to reproduce this. In my opinion, a runtime error is a bug.Does switching from TA/RA to XPDR work for you when the advisory messages are not engaged? Perhaps the crash occurs if the switch is done when the RA mode is already active, as in giving you advisories. Could you check that?Best regards,

Guest Savage

I'll try and get a willing pilot tonight when I fly again and try reproduce. I stand corrected, but I might have made the switch right in the middle of the advisory voice...Will give it a go in a couple of hours and report back (hopefully get the time to do a screen capture too).

Guest svedman

Voice actually being played or not, disabling TA/RA in the middle of a traffic or resolution advisory situation should not cause a crash.A reproducible crash is a bug, so if you can reproduce it, there you have it. :)Best regards,

Guest Savage

Ok, Sad to say, I got a willing pilot this evening, we didn't even try hard. I was est at FL310, he was climbing up behind me. The moment I got my advisory, I switched, and WHAM. Runtime error.I restarted and did this a couple of times to make sure, every single time I got the same runtime error. This is a error somewhere... Screen cappie attached. If someone else can also perhaps try and reproduce, I'm sure it would help.

Guest svedman

Are you able to make the switch without the crash when the advisory is NOT playing? If so, I'd say you've found a reproducible bug.Contact PMDG support directly with this.Best regards,

Guest Savage

Works fine without a advisory playing yes... Guess I'll pop a mail off to PMDG then, thanks.

guys,forgive me for the green question: but what does the XPNDER switch function as? is it only used when you are flying online?thanks,TOmas

Guest svedman

The XPDR setting disables the TCAS1 system, but keeps the transponder enabled.Best regards,

It may have no relevance, but does the same thing happen when running into a conflict with the AI traffic?Did you switch to XPNDR at the "Traffic, Traffic" call, or at the actual resolution advisory itself? (ie "Climb"/"Descend"/"Adjust Vertical Speed")While this does appear to be a bug, the technique you were using is not the standard response to a resolution advisory. It's still a problem and needs attnetion, I agree. But the reason that this hasn't been noticed yet is likely to be because of the slightly abnormal procedure being used.At the point of a traffic conflict, going from TA/RA to XPNDR wouldn't be your first action. You would instead aim to confirm separation from the traffic, either visually or by following the RA and waiting for the "clear of conflict" call, then continue as normal.If you expect in advance to be in proximity to traffic in a controlled sense and thus wouldn't NEED to hear the advisory, you would go to "TA only". An example would be if you were on approach to a runway with other traffic on final to a DIFFERENT but parallel runway. KSFO comes to mind.All the same, well spotted and hopefully PMDG will be able to do something with this info.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Savage

>It may have no relevance, but does the same thing happen when>running into a conflict with the AI traffic?I never really tried it with AI to be honest... But I do know they are rather hard to catch as you don't know their routes or where they going / what they are doing...>Did you switch to XPNDR at the "Traffic, Traffic" call, or at>the actual resolution advisory itself? (ie>"Climb"/"Descend"/"Adjust Vertical Speed")Actual resolution itself (As seen on the screen capture). Haven't tried it on the advisory, but I'll give it a ago again and see if it crashes there as well. It's not something I want to do to often, as I'm sure you'll agree - restarting everything to get it up and running again is a big, time consuming story -g->While this does appear to be a bug, the technique you were>using is not the standard response to a resolution advisory.>It's still a problem and needs attnetion, I agree. But the>reason that this hasn't been noticed yet is likely to be>because of the slightly abnormal procedure being used.Yes, I fully agree. I stumbled on this by accident as I had a escourte with me enroute to my arrival at a airport. The resolution advisories was driving me a bit mad with this mig at my 3, and I just happen to 'accidently' switch the transponder while the advisory was in progress (I should have gone to TA, but clicked twice instead of once). So this is really found by accident, and no, I don't normally fly this way either ;)>All the same, well spotted and hopefully PMDG will be able to>do something with this info.Yep. As I said on my first post as well - most peeps won't do what I did and therefore it isn't really a big issue (it's not like the engine is falling of the wing now, is it) :) Found by accident, and in a attempt to keep the Queen up as one of the most realistic planes I ever saw and fly (on a daily basis) in FS9 - let's get it fixed. I'm sure the real aircraft won't 'crash' in this instance... heheh

I also have this bug. When the message appear on the PFD, I switch the TCAS from TA/RA to XPDR - and RUNTIME ERROR. Roar