Sign in to follow this  
Guest kw2p

Appreciate assistance with RTO Type rating course lesson 2

Guest kw2p

Hi,Following the tutorial verbatim. PMDG/General/Options menu AFDS Throttle not checked. RTO on COM page set.I don't have a joystick so i am using keys instead but i can't get the sim to instigate the RTO! (i think)I gently increase the throttles to ~ 70% using numpad key 9, then when stable i use CTRL Z to set takeoff power (as set up and recommended in the tutorial - no conflicts). All is going well and the aircraft accelerates away - soon HOLD is announced. At 120kts i abort takoff.I use the F1 key to set all engines to idle and then i press CTRL X to abort TO/Discon (as set up and recommended in the tutorial - no conflicts).The aircraft appears to decelerate and the BRAKE indicator flashes at the bottom left of the screen. When the aircraft reaches 80kts the BRAKE indicator stops and the aircraft keeps on rolling. No spoilers are raised unless i use reverse thrust.I must be doing something wrong but i can't figure it out - can anyone help out? I would appreciate it.RegardsKenny Williamson

"When the aircraft reaches 80kts the BRAKE indicator stops and the aircraft keeps on rolling."Kenny, if you didn't accidentally touch your manual braking key and your forward thrust levers were at idle, then something is amiss. " No spoilers are raised unless i use reverse thrust."This is correct. Speedbrakes don't deploy automatically during a rejected takeoff (other than when you deploy reversers). The correct procedure is to manually deploy them.Cheers.Q>

Guest D17S

Also remember that reversers are just a bonus. Your V1 speed projects that you will be able to stop without reversers. But you MUST have the spoilers out. So don't rely on the reversers to autodeploy your spoiler. Why? If for some reason the spoilers do not respond to the automatics and do not deploy, you will be trapped and may very well crash. Here's the setup: You will have a hold of the reversers and need to get the spoilers out too. But you must finish setting reverse first. Once the reverser 'deploy-power set' sequence is done, you can finally reach over and get the spoilers. The spoilers are already WAY late . . .and getting later. That is unless the captain is flying. Then the FO will have to dive over the pedestal -- and the captain

Guest kw2p

Hi Q.From Lesson2 page 2-16 PMDG 747-400/400F TRC:TakeoffQuote:"Initiating the reject will cause the spoilers to deploy and the autobrakes will engage to bring the airplane to a complete stop."Thats why i thought the spoilers would deploy - Thanks for the correction.I don't press any key during brakeing so maybe something else is amiss?Thanks for the help.Regards Kenny

Guest kw2p

Hi Sam.You are correct and I see your point. It is definately not a good idea to completely rely on things happening automatically :)Thanks.Regards Kenny

"Initiating the reject will cause the spoilers to deploy and the autobrakes will engage to bring the airplane to a complete stop."Unless the keys mentioned in the tutorial also activate the speedbrake, we may have to get the PMDG guys to edit this line ;)Cheers.Q>