Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Tour - Part Seven - N. America East

Departed CYLU: 1800 EasternArrived BGBW: 2011 EasternAircraft: Hercules C-130H Royal Air ForceDistance: 640 nautical milesWeather en route clear and unlimited visibility, not sure if this was because MSFS Real-world weather couldn't find a true reporting station nearby, or because this WAS what the weather was like!This is a doozie to land at, have to follow the fjord into the area, here's a shot of us turning the last left towards the airport, landing rwy 7. Departures look like they pretty much MUST use rwy 25, and be sure and left turn out and start climbing, especially at night, you'll want all the air you can get...Baton up for grabs here at BGBW - Narsarsuaq, Greenland

Aeromachines is out of BGBW for KeflavikI guess I missed by one minute for the second time today. I'll go on to Keflavik anyway. See how it goes for next leg.Go Hawkeye.

I'd be glad to host a multiplayer flight, and even take the effort to coordinate IF:1) As mentioned, it needs to be on a schedule to accomodate North American pilots. I'm on PST, and get off work around 3pm (6pm EST) so anytime from there on is fine with me.2) I have a DSL connection and a 2.4 GZ machine with 1gig RAM so I suspect my machine is powerful enough to host, but I haven't the foggiest idea how to go about doing that.If somsone will help with (2) (that is, clue me in) I'll be glad to announce the time as per (1). I probably won't fly the leg except as a trailing plane (let's put it this way -- I'll fly only if there are enough "nodes" or whatever to allow it. Otherwise, I'll just be the host).Let me know...

I try to estimate the next location . Then I sit down and run a flight plan through the sim for the King Air 350. Then, knowing the place I think the aircraft will land, I take a local hop for weather, look at obstructions, check out the nav aids. Then I kinda know the route, time, and a lot more. So then I guesstimate the ETA of the one who is flying, and plomp down in my chair some time near the time I expect the pilot to land. I hit reload a few times (yes).

Kinda boring flight...Ya gotta love kids. Mine had me so distracted tonight I almost forgot to post once I landed. :-eekLeft BGBW and land @ BIRK. Travelled 667nm at 396 TAS @ FL270. Lots of Norther Lights and a nice moon to boot (see pic).Good luck to the last few flyers.Hawkeyez :-kewl

I got the Baton and on my way.Aeromachines

i got the baton..no i dont, go figure i guess it was my turn to miss by a minute, good luck

Aeromachines is down in the FAROE Islands.Total time this leg: 2:04 in a Cessna 421CTime on at EKVG 05:32 ATA Zulu or UTCThe Baton is free for crossing some more of the pond.Screenshot in an EDIT in Ten Minutes.Having NO luck on setting a good size fors the screenshot. Sorry.Flight to the Faroes was totally uneventful. Good weather. Some scattered clouds upon arrival. No trouble what so ever. Not boring, just trying to figure out the radio gear in the Flight1 Cessna keeps you busy. I may find time to read that manual some day. Thought I could do it this trip. Did not happen.Being unfamiliar with the Multiplay still in MSFS I'll miss the last portion of this. Maybe next time I'll be up to date. Lots of luck. Have fun finishing up.

At this point, as we start to begin our final approach checks and lower our gear for the last few times, I'd like to thank each and every person who took part in the Challenge, those in the sky and those on the ground. Additionally, I'm sure that you'll join me in thanking Tony (Scabbo) and Mike (Lahso) for the extra work and effort that they've put in to making this whole tour a major success.Frank Sinatra wrote a song that has become the RTW anthem, and its fitting that in our quieter moments, pilots and observers alike, sing together this immortal tune. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:Our WayAnd now, Heathrow is here And so we face the final apronMy friends, the weather

I got off the ground early in the morning in my Air France sponsored flight to England. The scenery at the Faroe Islands is very beautiful especially early in the morning as the sun broke out over light puffy clouds. Thoughts of the final leg danced in my head as i would be the one to hand it off to the final baton holder, what an honor! I had planned a flight much furhter south but time was tight so i diverted and landed at at EGCF very roughly, only 2 nm to line up with the runway in gusty winds and to my surprise with little pomp or circumstance after flying over 2 and a half hours. i expected more fanfare but it is only 9 am local time so i shouldnt expect much. I took a lot of pictures on the ground here and it got me misty eyed as i thought about all the memories, from my night flight into alaska. To my sickness in mexico, to my run thru the deep south and then the great white north with a copilot that smelled like fish...ahh the memories, i pass the baton to....

i have the baton again, taking advantage of a loophole in the rules( no provision in the rules for not going back to back on legs) and have no intentions on flying anywhere near heathrow or much farther from where i have landed. in fact i plan to fly a loop back to where i landed. i want confirmation on what the final leg will be before i relinquish it, hopefully from scabbo our ump, or at least some guidance from our RTW community. I am putting on the asbestos for the flames, but have done this in the best interest of everyone who has particapated in the event, i repeat, i will not take the baton on to heathrow, and will post a pirep to relinguish the baton as soon as i understand how the final flight will come off. Thanks all!