Sign in to follow this  
Guest Yoram777

Add GPS for PMDG 737NG 600/700?

Guest Yoram777

Hi, I created a flightplan via FS9's default flight planner and selected a PMDG 737 as the jet. When I selected the FMC I thought it would automatically load the flightplan simjlar to using the gps, but it didn't. I tried to learn the fmc from the doc that came with the PMDG 737NG package but found it confusing. Is it possible to add a gps to the cockpit manually (I use FS panel studio) or can I make a request for PMDG to add one in a patch? Do real 737's have a gps? Thanks for any help, Yoram

>Hi,> > I created a flightplan via FS9's default flight planner and>selected a PMDG 737 as the jet. When I selected the FMC I>thought it would automatically load the flightplan simjlar to>using the gps, but it didn't. I tried to learn the fmc from>the doc that came with the PMDG 737NG package but found it>confusing. Is it possible to add a gps to the cockpit manually>(I use FS panel studio) or can I make a request for PMDG to>add one in a patch? Do real 737's have a gps?>> Thanks for any>help,> Yoram Hi Yoram,Real 737s do not have a GPS. You use the FMC, and navigational display. It's worth your time to learn these components as it will greatly enhance your simulation experience. There are many tutorials and manuals on these topics.- John

Yoram,The NG does have a GPS installed but it is integrated with the rest of the FMS (Flight Management System) and the output will be shown on the DUs (Display Units). The GPS is not equipped with a fancy moving map display as you see on the default GPS unit. This kind of unit is more suited for installation in a GA aircraft. The GPS on the NG is basically a box down in the electronics bay feeding positioning data to the FMS for further processing until you see the results in the DUs and the CDU (Command Display Unit).You should try to learn how to use the FMS in the NG as that is really the strength of these kinds of aircraft.And if you find something confusing in the manual, please do a search here as there is an abundance of information here at the forum. Hope it helps,

Guest Yoram777

Thanks for your reply John. I found 1 tutorial but it had no pics..:( I will search some more to learn the fmc. Best regards, Yoram

Guest Yoram777

Thanks for your advice Mats..I'll try to learn it :). Take care, Yoram

Real NGs actually have 2 GPS units for redundency. They are just two of the many sensors used by the FMC for navigation.

Dave Paige

Guest nicam

try www.brettdonahue.comMichael

Brett Donahue's pictorial FMC programming tutorial is in the AVSIM library; search for program_fmc.zip

Dan Downs KCRP