Sign in to follow this  
Guest Number1

Touch and Go's

Guest Number1

Hello Folks,Picked up my PMDG 744 last week. Thought I'd practice some Touch and Go's over the weekend, but ran into some problems.As soon as I touch down and hit To/Go the route is deleted and I get NO ACTIVE ROUTE. When I then try to enter any waypoint again I get PROGRAM ERROR. I can select a ARR Runway from the DEP/ARR page, but it will only insert the runway, not the runway extension (this works when flying normally, as in no touch and go). Sometimes it seems to insert the Extensions into the legs page, but I get a Route discont. which I seem unable to resolve. So basically it leaves me with a dead FMC after having touched the runway. Perhaps I should mention here that my approuch did not include any go around waypoints, so the runway was the last waypoint in the FMC.Another question, when I touch down, what V1, VR, V2 speeds would I use for the takeoff again? In other words, when do I commence the rotation again. Also, I assume I dont arm the spoilers and leave autobreaks to Off when doing such a procedure? If so, lets say I just touched down. At what point do I hit ToGo? When the main gear makes contact? Do I have to retract flaps to max. takeoff flaps (20) during the roll?Oh, and one final, unrelated question. I noticed that when I finally land, and prepare another flight, that the event times in the ACARS remain the ones from the last flight. Any way to clear those?As you can see, many questions, but I'm absolutely hooked. She flies like a dream. Can't wait to do my first passenger flight :-)Thanks for your helpSteven

Not sure why you would need a ROUTE for touch&go-es. You only need the basic performance data to be initialized to get your V1, Vr, etc (or alternatively you could get this info from the perf. tables).You could also help yourself by using the FIX page and having some kind of runway extension drawn on your ND. If this is an airport like TNCM with no navigation aids it is nice to be able to see this airport on your ND for visual reference.I think you are mostly correct on other points. I would hit TO&GA immediately after the nose touches the ground but I would also bring flaps to 20. Therefore I suggest you land with flaps 25 (travel time for flaps from 30 to 20 may be too long).Perhaps you could search this forum in case the question of to&goes was handled before in more detail. Robert Randazzo is coming up with the type course lessons (see pined topics above) and it would be nice to include proper touch&go technique in one of those lessons. Should we ask him? ;-)EDIT: good news - read this http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchUser Skippy is asking for touch & goes - it is coming.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

"At what point do I hit ToGo? When the main gear makes contact? Do I have to retract flaps to max. takeoff flaps (20) during the roll?"As I understand it, Steven...The TOGA switch "GA" function becomes inactive 2 seconds after the aurcraft has reached 5' Radio Altitude. This leaves almost absolutely no window of opportunity to use it once you have touched down. On the ground, the "TO" function of the TOGA switch will only become active with the flaps in the TO range. You will have to ensure that your A/T switch is armed. You are correct that for training purposes (touch and go's), the speedbrakes and autobrakes are not armed. I believe our company's basic philosopy is that once you have touched down with normal automatics set, you have basically committed yourself to staying on the runway. There is just too much stopping power in the brakes and speedbrakes .... and the speed lost in a short amount of time would make it unwise to go-around after touchdown.Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

Guest Number1

Ok, I see. Thank you for the replies though. I guess I can just wait then for an "offical" tutorial.Although "Q" you say that to/go becomes inactive once 5 feet RADIO and will only be active if on flaps 10 or 20 on the ground? I will try this again today, but I'm fairly certain I was able to hit TO/GO (AT armed of course) as my nose gear made contact and flaps were still at 25. I will report back later.Until then, thanks alot GuysStevenEDIT: Oh and why I needed a route, well, I didn't need one but I thought it would be nice to have and not have to fly around guessing what alts to be at, or when to turn exactly. Remember I'm still getting used to flying this thing:-) BTW this way up in the canadian north, at CYFB.

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

I would suggest you to hit TOGA even two times. This will activate THR REF and your power will advance with the computed N1, since the flgiht computer keeps increasing the N1 limit in order to give the plane enough thrust to follow the FD. IF you hit TOGA only once you will get stuck at GA thrust limit which is not enough to follow the FD.

Guest Number1

Ahh, interesting, although I'm somewhat perplexed. Doesn't to/ga have the purpose of giving me the absolute maximum that the engines are capable of in the current conditions?Steven

"Doesn't to/ga have the purpose of giving me the absolute maximum that the engines are capable of in the current conditions?"TOGA (first push) gives a fixed 2000'/min climb (once the aircraft climb has stabilized). This may or may not require full thrust. I'm not sure why Paul says it won't follow the FD. It should in real life, at least.Second push gives full GA thrust (the resultant climb rate varies with airspeed).Cheers.Q>

Guest ToMy Li

:)

>TOGA (first push) gives a fixed 2000'/min climb (once the>aircraft climb has stabilized). I think this may be plenty. We should not forget that real-life touch & go's in a 747 are usually performed on long runways (I heard Sacramento Intl. was one such airport where you could see this) with a practically empty aircraft with say 2-3 hrs worth of fuel. There will be a huge excess of thrust no matter how you fly it and these operators are probably concerned about wear and tear of the engine ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

>I'm not sure why Paul says it won't follow the>FD. It should in real life, at least.>>Second push gives full GA thrust (the resultant climb rate>varies with airspeed).>>Cheers.>Q>>Well i acutally never made touch and go´s. I only did go arounds just b4 touching down. Thats mayb why I need more thrust to follow FD.However, I don´t get enough thrust by pushing TOGA only once