Sign in to follow this  
Guest samuel150892

Waypoints

Guest samuel150892

Hi i have read the manual but i am not very good with understanding them very well. When i read the manual in the FMC part it said something about waypoints j13, something like that. well how do i find the waypoints. so say ime going from KSEA to KLAX and put waypoints in for legs or what ever lol how do i find the waypoints like what it says in the manual. As i say i find it hard to understand all this with the FMC even after reading the manuals.Can anyone help?Thx for the replies

Guest dt1951

Hi (pleased insert your real name here as per forum guidelines). There are a few ways to input individual waypoints into the FMC. One, and the first one you will encounter is on the RTE page. The other is on the LEGS page where you can enter individual waypoints. Is that what you are asking? Or are you asking for help understanding route structures so that you can put in the proper routing?

well that "J13" type format sounds like an airway rather than a waypoint

Guest samuel150892

I just want to know how to understand route structers ect and airways. I can program them into the FMC by reading the manual which ive done.

If you use the link posted by Miquel and the FS flight Planner it should help you understand the airways and waypoints Samuel.Routefinder will calculate a route between two airports and display that route as a list of waypoints and as a short-hand version that you can enter in the FMC. This version is a list in the form waypoint - airway - waypoint - airway - waypoint etc.The list of waypoints covers every waypoint on your route.Think of the airways as roads and waypoints as junctions on those roads.Now imagine you are going from house A to house B.First you need to know which junction to use to get onto the major road, that will be your first waypoint.You now travel along that road (airway) until you have to change to another road which needs another junction (waypoint) which connects the road you are on to the new road. After a few junctions and roads you are near house B but need to leave the major road so you need a final junction (waypoint).Think of the bits between the houses and the major roads as the SID (DP) and STAR.Hope that helps you understand.