Sign in to follow this  
Guest hrutila

Another 737NG Question - Approach Airspeed Bugs

Guest hrutila

Hello again,I've read through this post on the forums to see if it would clarify my "issue," but it doesn't seem to have done so quite yet.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=55749&page=When setting up for Approach, say, descending through FL180, after selecting a Flap setting from the INIT REF page in the FMC, should I expect to see airspeed bugs on the left side of the PFD indicating when I should extend Flaps 1, 5, 10, etc., or are flap extensions on approach done manually (without assistance from airspeed bugs)? The only true bug that I see is a green line that says "UP." The lower flap settings like 1, 5, and 10, (if they even appear) are logically too low (lower than my target landing speed) to use. Sometimes those airspeed bugs appear, and sometimes they don't.Is this a weight problem? Should I be entering custom aircraft weight in the FMC, or should I allow the FMC to compute weights automatically? Or is this even a weight problem at all?Thank you,Harold RutilaVATSIM InstructorDenver ARTCC

I've noticed this too. But if you check closely, as you extend flaps the next number will appear on the PFD. It doesn't seem to follow the speed tape as it does on takeoffs. As long as the red color line doesn't crowd into the speed indicator you are within safe limits. At least that is how I saw it on my last approach and landing.Maybe someone else has a better explanation.Jim D.

HiI always get the bugs appearing on the tape correctly....as long as you have initialised the FMC that is. Also remember to select your landing flap setting in the FMC.When i slow down initially to say 200 KIAS I select the first flap position as my speed is nearing the 0 flap bug. The tape then displays the next flap bug speed and so on.I am confused when you say your flap bug speeds (when you do see them) are below your target speed ? What is your target speed KIAS ?Peter

Peter Schluter

My procedure is similar or the same as Peter's, I'll slow to min clean speed during the approach transition then before intercepting the final course (on base) I lower flaps to first notch and slow to that speed, I then lower flaps to next notch and slow to that speed when on final course. The goal is to be in landing config/speed when I cross the FAF.

Dan Downs KCRP