Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

How I long for the days when no one could install aircr

Remember when you had to create ALL the directories by hand and move ALL the files into the correct directories? I remember at one time being slightly irritated with this after a couple of years but it pales in comparison with the installs out there today that foul my computer with "Program Groups" "Uninstall Routines" "Help Files" and an endless array of files scattered over my hard drive because the folks didn't know what they were doing when they created the install in the first place. How much longer does it take to go clean out the garbage associated with these? A LOT longer than it did to install things the old way. Please leave my registry alone. Please make it hard to install the files. Let cumbersome ring! Why not just put a text file in like the OLD DAYS that said, "If you can't figure it out then leave me the blankety blank blank alone cause you ain't gonna get any help you zero!" You are recruiting members into the community who are soft in the head with this policy. Drooling, lethargic, masochistic, weenies who get excited when their program groups are 4 or 5 columns wide. Their registries use all their available ram. Give us a unix emulator to install with! Make it cumbersome but requiring thought again. Thanks!But wait... Some of you will complain about how I should be gratefull to have my machine molested in this way. Before you complain you must search your hard drives and report the number of FILE_ID.diz files that you have laying around at the beginning of your post. Here is an example of a beginning post:Neal,I hate you. I have 7,345 FILE_ID.diz files located on my C: drive and 3,215 on my D: drive. How can you be so blah, blah, blah.Be honest now. It will be a good indicator of your housekeeping.The SUBJECT LINE WON'T LET YOU TYPE UNTIL THE END OF IT? Why not make the field shorter if it won't? I purposely left some space at the end of the line and it still cut it off. The word is Aircraft for the confused.Neal

28I can not hate you. ;-) I have 28 FILE_ID.diz files located on my C: drive and none on my D: drive. System was refreshed early Jan 2002 with format C command. Never worked this good even when new. The C drive is a 30mb with 6 mb left. D is 2 mg and where everything is first downloaded and everthing on it is considered expendable. The two other computers on the LAN, when used for FS,only run SB and ServInfor with RogerWilco on all. Recieve only on two.The only thing wrong with exe files is that they are exe. We try and remmber to virus scan. I trust no one is jacking with my registry. What add-ons have invaded the registry? Why do they think need to?BobThe CURRENT WEATHER at my home. (12.9 Miles ESE of KPIA)http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/images/DS.p3...klot/latest.gif

They just clutter the registry. Paths for the program groups, folders, uninstall etc. all take space and eat storage. There isn't anything malicious that I've seen. To me it is the equivalent of someone opening your front door and handing me a free copy of something that is already free and then saying, "Oh I almost forgot and going back to the car they come back and dump about 3 garbage bags of their trash on your floor. Then they say, "You don't have to thank me, I know you are gratefull, Bye!"Neal

Guest Kurt
http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d3d7f194273a012.jpgI partly agree and do not like auto installers. To me it's much easier if the addon is just zipped up with the files and folders organized where I can just copy them into the sim. I do not unzip directly into the sim and never let a auto installer install into the sim, I always use a temp folder outside of the sim and then copy what I need into the sim. I then always uninstall the original install.I also find the InCtrl5 utility useful for tracking installs/uninstalls when I have to use them, it makes finding all the scattered files and registry entries easier.http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,,s=1478&a=4592,00.aspKurt M

Guest sgreenwood

Thanks for the link, Kurt.I wish PC Magazine would make these utilities available before they distribute the issue announcing them. I seldom remember to check back later!I second the concern regarding auto installation. Perhaps authors could include it as an option. Or provide simple extraction as an alternative within the installation program?Regards,Steve

Neal,Could not agree with you more! I hate those auto installers, by the way my count is 3, yes three File_id.diz files. What a pain, and the worst part is that the developer has to put forth an effort to create the installer! I wish that we could go back to the old days too. I'm more than capable of the installation on my very own, not as fast, yet much more efficient.Best of luck with your campaign,Jay

Could this develop into the most boring thread ever? Screenshots of Windows Explorer showing a list of FILE_ID.DIZ???!!! Ye Gods ....I keep quite a lot of mine on purpose, I have to say ... they remind me which version I have of something when the developer updates it; which with some, is often. At present, out of 23GB of FS stuff, I have 463 of the little buzzards on my C: drive. That's 463KB. Don't think it'll ruin my day, and I refuse to post a screenshot.I HATE SELF-INSTALLERS. When's the march?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

The FILE_ID.diz is really only a sign of poor housekeeping on your machine. It has nothing to do with install programs. In fact there are many files that you will download that don't have a FILE_ID.diz if you get them from sites other than avsim, flightsim, etc. If I disclaimed everything it would be 3 or 4 pages long. Your supposed to realilze that this is just a test of how carefull you are or are not about letting garbage accumulate on your machine. You will notice that I said only if you disagreed with the post to look for these files. It was a way for me and others to know that they were talking to a computer slob. Of course if you have 463 of these files around then I'm sure that is only the tip of the iceburg so to speak and you would fit the profile of the users I posted about initially. No offense its your box you keep it like you want it, I just don't want nor do I allow mine to be that way. 6 or 8 or 20 or so is not a big deal but 463? :-lol I'd hate to see your room, however, thanks for having the courage to admit your problem. Neal

One damn 135 of those..Deleted.. and NO you cant see my room.. its a bit worse than the 135 .diz files!Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdMy help may not me much usefull, or usefull much..eh?http://people.zeelandnet.nl/johd/index2/Ar...s/Leg1/klm5.jpgTrue Blue! K L M!

Oh, darn, the subject line was cut off. Well, you get the idea.Please, please DO NOT give us any more executable installs that modify the registry and DO NOT add uninstall keys.Leave our computers alone. Just because there is a 40 GB hard disk does not mean you should fill it with unneeded files.Thanks, Neal.Best regards.Luis

What have .diz files got do with how well the computer is running? They'll take up a little space but that's about it.Or do you mean that the amount of .diz files you have laying around is an indication of how well you keep your system?:)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

If you can remember these "good old days" then you will be quite capable of selecting where the "auto-installer" installs the files.Personally, unless I really have to leave the target where it is (DreamFleet and FSD installations come to mind) I always install to a temporary directory, then cut-and-paste as neccessary.As for the registry/Start Menu entries, its simple enough to delete the shortcuts. Simply go to C:WindowsStart MenuPrograms and delete what's necesary.This will avoid your "4 or 5 column Program Groups".As for your "subject line" problem, try using your Tab key or mouse and select the next box. This works for me !

LOL!!! Memories! When I purchased FS98, I had NO idea that there were sites like this. I had NO idea you could add onto MSFS at all. Well thanks to the internet, I found Avsim and FS.Com. I LOVE Connies and found the Connie from Save A Plane. "Got to get this baby!" Downloaded Winzip and off I went. Downloaded my first plane! Great!!! Now what????? I remember Lou Bettie helped me install it thru e-mail. 6 (yes...that was SIX) hours later, I had me a Connie! LOL!! If it takes me longer then 30 seconds now, something is wrong! Same with scenery. I think that was about 4 hours on the first. Now it's shear seconds! The good part of my simming experience is I get just as excited now as I did with my first download. THAT is a GOOD thing!Don