Sign in to follow this  
jc_150

Ils capture

Hi all in the forum.Thought I would share this, as it is the first time it has happened to me. I usually have no problem with ils capture, and I always check the Ils frequency and heading in the fmc against a second source, and if they agree then I never seem to have problems. Yesterday I flew the 737-600 from Luton (EGGW) to Inverness (EGPE). I looked on fsnav and there is no ils shown for its runway 6. I downloaded the airport charts for Inverness and it show an ils for its runway 5. so that data did not agree. As I got close to inverness the fmc showed the correct frequency for the ils and course as published on the airport chart. It never showed on the PFD and then of course it never captured the ils. So for PMDG aircraft to capture ils, does it need its fmc data to agree with fsnav data, which I am assuming is also fs9 data or is it a totally independant system and should have captured it as it had the frequency and course in the fmc database. Maybe this is the reason for some users not being able to capture ils at some airports. If anyone has a spare hour and could fly this route and report back it would be extreemly useful. If I had not had fsnav and been able to check the frequencies then it would have appeared to be a plane fault or my bad piloting. regardsJohn CallejaBAW352

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

John I fly the 747 sim so I am not sure of the specfics of the 737 but I have flown ILS approaches successfully that were not showing as available on the arrivals page. I did however have to enter them manually ie 109.9/231. This then brought it up onto the PFD and ND to use. CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Hi SteveThanks for the reply, I am just thinking that this runway must have been in the arrivals page as it auto tuned the ils, but I will do the flight again and manually enter the frequency/course and see what happenscheersJohn Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Hi there,I did the flight and was not able to manually get the ILS. The info there seems dated as the vector is now 05/23 and not 06/24. There is no ILS in the Facilities file for EGPE. I haven't done it before but I am trying to install one there. Quite a tricky ILS procedure with the DME ranged to read zero at the threshold. I will let you know if it works out.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Hi SteveThanks for the time and trouble to do this for me, and I look forward to your information if you get the ils set up.regardsJohn Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

John,The FMC in this NG reads it's data from the airac files(and thus updated), and the NAV radios read data from the old bgl/scenery files in FS9, unless you have any updated add-on scenery or Afcad with the ILS transmitters included.However there is an easy and quick solution. In AFCAD you can insert the missing ILS transmitters at the correct positions and save. Then you will have full ILS and correct DME readout.I played around with this and if you want you can try the new Afcad file attached. I have inserted ILS at both rwy 05 and 23, edited the rwy designators and start locations, inserted the IVR NDB and done some other small adjustment. Both the I-DX (23) and I-LN (05) DME's should read zero at rwy thresholds as per charts.At glideslope capture rwy 23:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/148932.jpgThese new navaids are also available in other aircrafts. If you have FSNavigator, remember to run the FSNAVDBC to update the database.

Gidday Per,I also managed to install a couple of ILS's there and also relocate the DME to get a zero readout at the threshold.I have run your file and it is very similar to mine with the exception of the parking and NDB you have put in. Nice job.I have 2 problems and they are the same in mine and yours.1. The approaches do not show up as options for ATC available approaches (they are in FMC).2. There seems to be an anomaly with the variation as even though the runway direction is 055 mag when you are pointing down the runway it shows up as 058 and is the same on the approach. What needs to be altered to change this?CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Hi Steve.1. To get these new approaches available in ATC you have to decompile, edit and recompile an internal FS bgl file, for EGPE this would be AP946110.BGL located in FS9SceneryEURWscenery. This is a lot more complicated work, but it's possible. Please refer to the BGLCOMP SDK for further info on how to code this.You have to do this also to get the new approaches available in the ordinary FS GPS and for any AI traffic in the area.2. I believe this is due to the differene in magnetic variation in FS and real world

Hi PerI downloaded your AFCAD file and installed it and ran the database for fsnav ( i would have surely forgot to do that so thanks for the heads up on that), and it now works brilliantly. I can see the ils in fsnav so I know it will work when i fly the flight in about 10 seconds time, so thanks for the help and thanks to Steve for taking so much trouble to help.got to go fly nowregardsJohn Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Per I have downloaded BGLComp SDK and had a look at it. How did you know that EGPE is that file as nothing suggests it from the file name?Cheers Steve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Glad it worked for you John:-) Steve, that's easy, open the stock Afcad for the airport and right-click in the window, the Properties tab will tell you.. If you want to go further into this, do a search for "XML Approaches" at the Project AI forums. There is a wealth of useful info there, especially by Jim Vile who has done a extensive research on the subject.