Sign in to follow this  
lostmoon

Therapeutic Oxygen (Upper EICAS)

I came across this photo:http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0100...=COCKPIT&size=L(appologies for the string, but i could not shrink to fit to make it readable)The upper EICAS show "THERAP OXYGEN ON". What is it exactly? is it for the flight deck only, or is it througout the cabin?I am also curious to know what that radar-looking contraption is front of the pilot's left knee.thanks,tom

Guest Floyd312

Hi Tom,I don't know the answers to your questions but, in reference to the URL, if you look immediatly above the image you will see the "short" URL to link to the photo. It is labeled "URL (link) to this photo:".Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along to answer your other questions.Don

Guest 102301636

I don't have an answer to your questions either..I assume the little radar by the captains left leg is weather radar?To add to this post, see the sticker which says 'This aircraft is H rated'...what doe that mean?...It's located directly above the backup HSIps I like the way the captain navigates where he wants to go...with his right foot!

Guest Lenny Zaman

Hii'm not a 747 pilot, nor an expert. I'm a pilot though and i know the following:Therapeutic Oxygen is oxygen used for medical assistance for passengers who require it. So this is NOT at all connected with the emergency oxygen system, which is only for depressurisation.Some people require a constant oxygen supply due to medical reasons, probably in the 747 there is an oxygen bottle incorporated in some of the seats for pax who need this, and whenever the oxygen is being supplied to a passenger, this is mentioned on the EICAS, however, i could be wrong. I just couldn't think why the flight crew would be bothered with this information? Anyone here know more?Cheerz

All I can tell you is that the H rating means that the engines on the aircraft are the H variant of the RB211 engine, slightly more powerful than aircraft with the G variant, which BA have some of also.

On the 744, the theraputic oxygen actually is hooked up to the emergency cabin oxygen system. An oxygen mask (and coiled plastic tube) is plugged into a hole in the emergency oxygen unit above the sick passenger's head. A small spring loaded cover usually hides the hole.The switch in the cockpit has to be reset when the passenger no longer requires oxygen.The details are a bit sketchy, but I'm told that using the theraputic oxygen system can sometimes trip the entire emergency oxy system (I believe the rush of oxygen going down the lines to the passenger can trigger the system). The purser plugs a second oxygen mask into the theraputic outlet at his workstation to relieve some of the pressure to (apparently) prevent this from happening (actually, it's just a short 6" piece of hose from an oxy mask).Use of theraputic oxygen is not normally used for people known to be sick prior to boarding. In these cases, the Engineering Dept. usually attach a large portable O2 bottle in a special container to the chairleg or in a safe place somewhere nearby. This ensures that the main emergency oxy system is not depleted too much (although one or two people using theraputic should really not take too much O2 from the system).Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

thanks q,plenty of help there. i know more now than i did earlier this afternoon.tom