Sign in to follow this  
Guest Celt

RTO . . . is this a problem?

Guest Celt

Just had something interesting happen on me . . . was departing EGLL on a BPK5J departure from runway 09R . . . I had turned the TCAS on because I was flying using the Flight1 Ultimate Traffic package which generates real-world traffic, which means EGLL is VERY busy, but FS doesn't fly the proper SID/STARs on AI planes, so you have to keep your wits about. As I initiated the TOGA and began rolling, the TCAS called a traffic alert on a plane that had been told to go around on rwy 09L (I was taking off from 09R) . . . after two warnings I can only assume the FD exectured an RTO procedure which closed the throttles and slammed on the brakes . . .Firstly can I assume this was initiated automatically because of the TCAS warnings, and secondly is there any way to stop it apart from disarming the autobrakes, or not using TOGA?

Guest svedman

Did you set TA/RA? Try "TA only" or XPDR, see if that works.Best regards,

Guest Matze2912

Your airplane will never initiate a RTO-Procedure itself, for sure.I think the only way to initiate a RTO is 1) to retard the throttles or 2) to slam the brakes...Hope this helps,Matthias

Guest Lenny Zaman

below 1000 AGL you only get TA's, no RA's Takeoff in itself is a very critical phase of flight, no need to toughen it up with RA's. normally missed approaches are designed not produce any of these problems, but in FS....but an automated RTO... no way jos

Guest Celt

I did have TA/RA . . . that was lazy of me then so i get slappy wristy, but I was flying with my hands off the throttle, but had grabbed the stick after moving hand from mouse to stick . . .I;m fairly sure I didn't click the trigger, but if there is no other explanation then maybe I did but never realised it because I am fairly sure it aborted by itself . . .

Guest neeraj.pendse

Also note here that RA means resolution ADVISORY ... not control. So even in RA mode the airplane will not do anything by itself, it will tell you. "DESCEND, DESCEND" for example.My guess is that you may have a noisy joystick and the throttle ... have you checked that part out?- Neeraj

Hitting the brakes won't even activate the RTO. Applying brakes is one way to dis-engage the autobrakes. As far as TCAS goes in real life it will inhibit INCREASE DESCENT RAs below 1500', DESCEND RAs below 1100', RAs, below 1000', and all voice annunciations below 500'. Of course I have no idea what they have programmed in FS or its add ons.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

>As far as TCAS goes in real life it will inhibit INCREASE>DESCENT RAs below 1500', DESCEND RAs below 1100', RAs, below>1000', and all voice annunciations below 500'. As far as I know this is what the TCAS on the PMDG aircraft should do as well. I was programmed using the TCASII specs.Regarding the original question. TCAS will not interfere automatically with anything during any regime of flight.Hope it helps,

Guest Celt

OK, lets forget the TCAS thing then, what WOULD cause the A/C to perform an RTO? Either automatically or manually, because it did apply the brakes and close the throttles, so how could I have caused it if it cannot happen automatically?

It is likely the closing of the throttles is what caused the RTO. That is how it is initiated in real life. I guess the main question should be why did the throttles close if you didn't do it? They shouldn't have closed via the auto throttles during a take off.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg