Sign in to follow this  
anthonyrees

After Landing 747-400 - Pulling To Side

Just a quick one.Sometimes after landing on my chosen runway, and after disengaging thew AP, the plane continues to stick to a specific heading and no matter how I manually try to steer her onto a taxiway, she keeps pulling back hard on the ground to previous course.Anyone know what is happening, and how to stop it? Or, better still, what am I doing wrong?Anthony ReesCape TownSouth Africa

Hi Anthony,It depends on how MUCH your plane moves to the side. Is it literally going right off the runway soon after touchdown? IF so, based on what I've read, it may be your joystick axis calibration.Or does it just very gradually move to one side? This can be an issue of a badly centered flight yoke/joystick (again the calibration).A silly question: Do you completely disengage autopilot after you land? I do manual landings so I honestly don't remember if A/P disengages on its own or it is the pilot who disengages it but I when I disengage A/P, I also disengage autothrottle and the flight director.John

Guest eric rondeaux

Hi Anthony,I'm having the same problem immidiately after landing.The acft is heading whether on the right or on the left and I desperately try to keep it right on the taxiway centerline. I don't think it's a yoke or joystick calibration (I only have the problem with the 747-400). I disconnect the A/P far before touching down and the A/THR too, so I land manually as soon as est. on Vref. So it doesn't seem to be an A/P problem. Did you solve the problem, since the only answer you received ? I think it's a program issue and a pity that it's impossible to write PMDG directly for a simple answer.What could we do ?eric

Umm how is it impossible to write us for a simple answer?All the possible causes of this have already been answered here, we're not omnicient and able to tell exactly what causes something on your PC instantly man... ;)Are you positive you completely disconnected the AP? Rollout mode tracks the runway centerline tied to the ILS signal, but in FS the signal becomes unreliable further down the runway and will cause the plane to steer off the runway if you haven't fully disconnected by that point.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Make sure you diconnect the auto-pilot and BOTH flight directors.In the past, i've found myself sitting the in right hand seat for a bit and turning on the flight director while there. Then I switch back to the left seat (always more comfortable :( ) but forget to disengage the right FD. Because of this she kept tracking the runway center line during rollout

Alaister Kay

"Make sure you diconnect the auto-pilot and BOTH flight directors.In the past, i've found myself sitting the in right hand seat for a bit and turning on the flight director while there. Then I switch back to the left seat (always more comfortable ) but forget to disengage the right FD. Because of this she kept tracking the runway center line during rollout"If the A/P has been disengaged, there should be no input to the steering. FD's have nothing to do with rollout steering.Did you make sure your rudder trim was centered prior to landing? Is there a crosswind blowing you off the centerline? Are you using differential braking and pushing more heavily on one pedal?Also... I seem to recall having to delete a particular FSUIPC file in the past for a similar problem (Experts?).Cheers.Q>

Guest eric rondeaux

Thanks to you all, I 've landed this afternoon and as usual in this case the problem had disappeared. Anyway, I had read your answers before the flight and carefully disconnect the A/P and F/D on both sides (even if nothing to do with rollout steering). Also paid attention to deactivate the num lock key for the reverse (F2)to work properly. The rollout was perfectly led, as by magic intervention!I hope I won't have to interact with secret FSUIPC files in the future and that the first part of your answer was the right one.Best Regards to you all and sorry for my disappointment reaction first.eric