Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris E.

PMDG 747 Problem.

Guest Celt

Enter my realm of expertise. I moderator a PC tech support forum and I see similar things . . . 1) XP SP1 is really NOT design for CPU's with the NX bit and dual-core. It is not optimal, you really MUST update to SP2. Most of the bugs are fixed now so there is no reason not to. Running SP1 also means you are susceptable to a number of vulnerabilities in XP and you can't get updates for them . . .2) What firewall/anti-viru/spyware do you have? You don't seem to have any in your system tray, but I'm hoping you aren't relying on Windows Firewall . . . it could be that something nasty has crept in, but I'll delay that judgement until you can answer as you may have the icons hidden.3) I'll agree with the points above. When flying, especially on IVAO, you should have the minimum running, so avoid Skypw, and ICQ especially, and if you check the IVAO T&Cs you'll see that the use of other internet applications are prohibited while flying the IVAO network for lag reasons . . .Those are the 1 2 and 3 I think are essential before you get any further. If your problem with #2 ismoney I can recommend some very good free ones (I use them myself in fact, because I stand by my recommendations to people when it comes to freeware so I can be aware of any problems) . . .BTW I help moderate the forum for X-Bit . . . so if anyone wants technical advice please hunt us down . . . I'm not giving a URL as I think that's unfair to AVSIM. But you can find us if you want to. If the mods prefer, I have deliberately made this a seperate paragraph so they can remove it at will.

Guest Chris E.

Hi,Ok than i'll update to SP2 und run the hotfix for dual core.Firewall is not on my system yet, but why is it then just when pmdg is installed ? On ma old pc i had the norton firewall.And the programms in the background are also running when i fly eg with PSS A340. When Pmdg is installed , i get a crash , without installed pmdg , no crash :-/But i'll install the hotfix and maybe also FS9.1RegardsChris

Guest Chris E.

Hi,now testet with SP2 and hotfix for dual core. But same result :(And i didn

Guest Celt

My concern is that a "rogue" program is conflicting with PMDG . . . it's not something specific about the program that is designed to screw up PMDG, but virus writers, and trojan author don't thoroughly beta-test their code you know and so PMDG/FS9 may be a victim of some conflict somewhere.I would strongly recommend you download the Zone Alarm free firewall . ..ignore the adverts asking you to upgrade, the free one will do fine, and then do a torough online virus and nasty scan using the Symantec or McAfee websites . . .Finally go to Microsoft.com and download Windows Defender BETA . . . unless you have a hardware firewall I'll be surprised if there isn't something nasty on your system. It takes, on average, under 30 seconds for an unprotected Windows XP system to be attacked . . . yes you did read that right.

Guest Chris E.

Hi,Thanks a lot ! I'll try it as soon as possible !I hope something like that causes it !RegardsChris

Guest Chris E.

I downloaded Zone Alarm and i made an online virus detection with mccafee , but there is just one file detected, coming from icq (toolbar). :-/ But what to do now ? It seems as if theres no spy etc on my pc ?RegardsChris

Guest Chris E.

hi again,i have as mentioned just the icq toolbar found with the internet scan.Now i used spybot and spydoctor to scan. Spybot found some which i deleted now. But spydoctor is still finding 34 infections but i can't delet them without buying the software :-/Which free one is the best one , or what should i do next?RegardsChris

Guest Celt

Windows Defender should handle spyware detection/deletion . . . note though, that spyware is different from viruses, so spybot/defender may find spyware/malware, but not viruses, and often anti-virus software doesn't find spyware etc . . . don't you love capitalism? So Windows Defender for Spyware, and for viruses go to free.grisoft.com and download the free AVG program . . . if they can't remove the infections then boot up in safe mode (without the network connected) and try from there. If that doesn't work, read the next paragraph . . .A word of caution here however. Depending on how "bad" your PC is infected often the best way of cleaning up is to backup your data, and reinstall the whole OS from scratch. This is because it is sometimes impossible to uninfect a PC without damaging the system files making the system wholly unstable. There are no Silver Bullets I'm afraid, but a lot of work. It amazes me that manufacturers still ship PCs without adequate protection software . . .If you do have to reinstall, take a copy of the ZoneAlarm, AVG and Defender installers on CD or USB Key, and reinstall them BEFORE you connet to the internet (unplug your connection while you reinstall . . . I hope you can get it working without a reinstall though . . . good luck

Guest Chris E.

Thanks , i'll do it and report it :-) :-)RegardsChris

Guest Celt

I'm confident it will fix the problem cos if not you're gonna want to kill me ;-) If it's not too late you might just want to run a basic hardware check by downloading memtest x86 (do a google search). You can burn a bootable CD-ROM for it, but it does a thorough memory test as well, which is also the most common hardware problem, but because this problem is consistent it is unlikey to be hardware. Because of the way Windows works consistent problems are often software and unpredictable ones are often hardware, but that's a gross generalisation.

Guest Chris E.

hi,i downloaded the Zone alarm firewall , windows defender and the AGV.All Programms are engaged and i made spy and with agv a virus scan , but there are no viruses or spywares. but anyway i tested and got the failure after 20 mins switching between TNCM scenry , mega airport , with different aircrafts.But shortly the failure went away for some minutes and i was able to see the taskmanager.Maybe this helps. I started GTA San andreas, to see whether the RAM using goes up , because it stopped between 1,05 and 1,1 gb. And it stayed there.So virus is not the reason , but maybe hardware or a defect of ram ? I will try your test.Here is a screenshot of my Taskmanager:failure.JPGp.s. The ram was used 1,05 gb also before starting GTA san andreas. Sometimes it came up to 1,1 gb

Guest captaingrice

I had EXACTLY the same problem as this only last month. Right down to the menu bar collapsing and that strange bar appear at the bottom of the screen.What I can say is its not a PMDG problem. I made the tough choice of deleting MSFS and all associated files (including AI) and start again. I re-installed all the PMDG products I have 737-6/7/8/9 and the 744QOTS and 744F.The problem has gone (thank goodness)!! Like you I assumed it was a third party product, and it may be as I have not re-installed all my add-ons. But as I say, its not a PMDG problem.By any chance, say when you click on the ND for example, does your screen sometimes go blank?

"But i'll install the hotfix and maybe also FS9.1"FYI: The PMDG 744 is only certified to run on FS9.1. I would install the patch.

Guest Chris E.

hi,@ george , thanks !!! you gave me new hope , that would be a good reason !! Because all i know are flying it ,and i can't on 2 different pcs , but i never had Fs9.1. I'm trying in this time.But the deinstalling wouldn't help i think , i did it on this pc before witohut sucess and i had the same problem on another pc.RegardsChris

Guest Chris E.

But it doesn't help :'( :'(I'm really sad about this RegardsChris