Sign in to follow this  
ashigar

So how is it done? Calling Sam (D17)

Sam,Or any knowlegable person please voice in. We all know about the BA flight from LAX to LHR that had an engine failure right after take off and decided to continue to LHR. We also know that the captain had to divert to Manchester beacuse they were not properly trained on "how to configure properly engine to tank cross-feed" fuel with one engine out. My question is.....How is it done? and how is it done properly? ThnxGus

Guest Marc Harrington

Surely many people will give more detailed responses to this shortly, but the reason you described for the eventual emergency landing in Manchester is not correct. The flight was unable to climb to higher flight levels as it required for lower fuel burn due to traffic restrictions and the added drag of the shut off engine further increased fuel burn. As a precautionary move, the flight crew elected to land in Manchester.

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

I cannot imagine how the fuel tank to engine crossfeed config can help you minimizng fuel burn. Maybe you are talking about a possible fuel imbalance which will accure due to one side of the plane using more fuel. So I think the proper question in this case would be how do you get fuel from lets say tank no. 4 into tank no. 1?

Guest D17S

Ahhh. Another great question. How do you set up the fuel panel for an engine out situation? Of course the goal is to: 1) First equalize tank quantities, 2) Then go tank to engine. Just for fun, let

Guest D17S

Well, I've got an inboard shut down and the fuel feed setup seems to be keeping things even . . . so far. But we need to get a thread going on engine out ops. The engine-out page suggests a an OPT of FL230 and a MAX of 270. I reset the cruize page to FL230 to facilitate a cruise descent (my drift-down) from FL360. I got an initial ROD in VNAV SPD/THR. Then the airplane tried to level off at ~FL350. Thrust went from THR to HOLD at an N1 about 10% below EICAS climb limit. The airplane is now struggling to maintain the 4 engine page's airspeed and maintain altitude. I'm in a 50 fpm drift down, but only because the airplane just can't climb. I'm not quite sure where it wants to go! With Vnav engaged, I'm in a 3 degrees nose up, thrust at HOLD, on-speed (4 engine page, non-intervened), drift down at 50 fpm. The FMC is programmed to FL230 and will not enter a cruise descent. Poor old Vnav's having quite a time and is about to get himself booted of the mound! I have FLCH, V/S and Speed Intervene in the bullpin all ready to go.But even the FMC is confusing me. . . but that's easily done. Its Vnav, cruise, 4 engine page is asking for a step climb to FL370 while the engine out page describes altitudes per above. That would be fine, because I'm not using the 4 engine page anymore . . . but the FMC is! All the FMC's V-info users are using the step climb FL370 to calculate stiff. According the the FMC, my arrival fuel estimate is STILL based on 4 engines operating at a cruise of FL370. No wonder they about ran out of gas.