Sign in to follow this  
lostmoon

FYI: AIRAC 0605

Guest xose01

Hi Terry,Thanks for the clarification. I have come across the issue I mentioned on several occasions, but those issues may have been caused by the author of the SID/STAR not defining the new waypoints. I typically update the SID/STARs for the PMDG fleet with your update and then overlay with the "All In One" updates from Navdata. One of my concerns though Terry is that, as commercial enterprises, PMDG/PSS/Flight1 et al should not necessarily be relying on individuals such as yourself and Richard to provide updates to critical items such as navigational databases, which the flightsim community relies on. Don't get me wrong... the flight sim community is heavily indebted to individuals such as yourself and Richard. However, when problems arise such as personal availability (e.g. navdata), a commercial proposition may be welcomed by many of us.Regards,Luis

Luis et al,I see a multitude of problems going down that path. In a multiplayer environment that would mean that the ones who can afford it plays with the latest AIRAC while the rest uses old navdata.It's not crucial to use the latest navdata for online flying. The important part is that everybody uses the same data. If that data is 0501 or 0605 doesn't really matter.And another problem is that any navdata subscription probably includes clauses that will prevent any developer to resell the data. For reselling real world navdata I am guessing we are talking completely different figures than $500 per year.I for one is VERY happy with what Richard Stefan has done, and still is doing. What I would love to see is a standardized and open syntax for navdata and procedures amongst developers. One database used for every and all add-ons. But I think that's going to happen when pigs fly. ;-)Cheers,

Guest xose01

Hi Mats,You may have a very good point about the potential licence implications of re-selling AIRAC information (though I imagine a publisher such as PMDG would have faced this issue when selling the aircraft with AIRAC data included).With respect to commonality, everyone is not using the same AIRAC. If we were, as you say, there would not be an issue. There is a great disparity between VATSIM controllers, PMDG pilots, FeelThere pilots etc... everyone is on different AIRACs at the moment.Clearly we would all prefer to use a "free" service for AIRAC updates. But at the moment there is no choice... we don't have a "free" service and we don't have a "pay" service. My comments are not meant as criticsm of individuals such as Richard Stefan as they provide an incredible service to the flightsim community. Rather that it is odd that we all, in a chase for realism, fund complex payware aircraft but are reliant on individuals such as Richard to provide updates to a critical component of the aircraft.However, to your last point, I would love to see commonality amongst the payware publishers of AIRAC/SID/STAR databases. Not seen many flying pigs recently though :-) :-) Regards,Luis

When loading an rte route created by FS Build into the FMC, I believe all the waypoints are taken from that plan by name and LL absolute location (in the plan), not from the PMDG database. So far I have not had any problem using this method. It does preclude using the PMDG DP/STAR database but I do use the arrival info for the ILS/LOC/VOR per the runway options in the ARR page.Am I misunderstanding that how using externally created routes are imported and resolved?

> But I think that's going to happen when pigs fly. ;-)Pigs won't fly in FSX, but birds will ;)

Terry:Your SIDSTARs do rely on AIRAC data for airports, navaids and runway locations. These do change, in fact, KMCO, KSTL and soon KATL have new runways and navaids not in the available AIRAC.

Dan Downs KCRP

Two years ago, a pig did fly. It was discussed in a Wall St Journal article. Someone had a "companion pet" which happened to be a pig and went along for a ride on a SWA jet. It was a funny story. Anyway....The bottom line is DAFIF is going away. There will no longer be a public source of navdata. Pigs or no pigs. The only question is which commercial entity is going to take advantage of the market opportunity? It's going to happen.The first to market is going to set the defacto standard for others to follow until something either much better or much cheaper comes along. I just hope PMDG is thinking this through.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest flight78

I sure hope new AIRACS will be released I think Richard planned for a release of 0605 why would he post it on his site otherwishe?? so I assume he might have a new source already. Everyone using the same AIRAC is a nice idea although for them wanting to use real world flightplans it will become a problem (I can already see some missing airways) but iam not going to over analyse it.Kind Regards:Alexander

Alexander:I too think Richard plans to release 0605 when he posted his last update on 9 April; however, release date for 0605 has come and gone.DAFIF goes away October 2006. No other public domain source for this data exists, or has been announced to replace DAFIF.Either our navdata is going to become increasingly obsolete or a commerical source is developed.Not much here to analyze. Just the facts.

Dan Downs KCRP

I made a new AIRAC using DAFIF 0605 data. I don't know exactly how Richard Stefan makes his AIRAC updates so it isn't 100% identical, but it is close. Some airports are missing, but I think they are only small ones where you shouldn't be landing a 737 or 747 anyway. This doesn't do anything to help when DAFIF goes away in October. http://three.fsphost.com/nav/David

Thanks very much David.It loaded and ran as expected, verified that the new KSTL runway and approaches existed. Very Good.The download was extremely slow, may I suggest that you upload the file to the AVSIM library? Minor issue tho -Thanks again.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks David;I tried your new AIRAC and on my first flight my origination airport KABQ wasn't in the database. I'm sure KABQ is in the DAFIF. So, for now, I've switched back to Stefan's 0513. Please let me know if you come up with a way to make a more complete AIRAC, and thanks again for your effort.

Dave Paige

It looks like the DAFIF calls KABQ a "secondary ICAO" for Kirtland AFB. This also affected PHNL and about a dozen other airports. I fixed the AIRAC to use the secondary ICAO code. I also fixed a problem where many VOR/DMEs where showings as VOR only.

Hi DavidJust tried to access your site and it seems to be down?If possible would like to try the new airac as I am findong some airways are not properly represented now in the older cycles.ThanksJohn

David;What are you using to convert the raw DAFIF data into PMDG or LevelD format?

Dave Paige