Sign in to follow this  
Guest wayne459

737 FMC

Guest wayne459

Hi everyone,I have read and re read the manual and have gone over and over the advanced flight tutorial by Tim Metzinger. And I still can't get the FMC setup properly.Is there anyone who would be willing assist me so that I can learn the FMC and not bother everyone?Wayne

I had a hard time figuring it all out and really only used the LNAV function and the autopilot.That is until I recently bought the "700 series simulator manual" by retired UAL captain Mike Ray. It was the best $40 I ever spent as it gives you an easy and fun step by step intro to the FMC. Now I know every nook and cranny about it and I'm doing things I never thought I could with the FMC. It's fianlly fully functional.Also, I picked up a few ITVV DVD's the past year and love them. They have shwon me alot of neat little tricks.

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Wayne,What exactly are the problems you are having ? is it imputting the route or the other pages you are having trouble with ? Not saying it's easy (it wouldn't be any fun if it was), but it's fairly logical and straight forward as long as you go through it step by step and page by page. I can now be up and flying within about 10 mins from loading the aircraft including programming the FMC.

Guest wayne459

Hi Dave,I'm using the manual, as well as the tutorial. But the tutorial shows things that do not show up in the sim. For one thing, the tutorial uses the navdata 0308, where I've downloaded 0605. Then in the tutorial it states that there is a number of pages for the "departures", where I only get 2 or 3.See so it's going to be extremely hard to follow a tutorial if what you're using is completely different and hence the question of help.Wayne

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Wayne,The Navdata file you use won't make any difference to the way the FMC is programmed. There may be changes to a few waypoints etc but the mode of operation is the same.The number of departures depends on the airport and the runway - some haven't got any, EGLL for example has got a lot. I presume then, that you know how to input your start airport and finish airport in the 1st page of the RTE Page. Then click Dep/Arr button and click the top LH LSK for the departure then select the runway you want on the RH side. This will then give you a list of SIDs down the LH side. Click the one you want (you can get this from the airport charts that I presume you have got, yes ?) Then if you want you can do the same for the arrival airport but irl, you usually don't know which runway you are going to land on until well into the flight. After that, input your waypoints / airways from start to finish (you know how to get this yes ? - if not I use http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/. Clear any discos and that's it then - go on to input performance info on the Perf Init page and that's it.Hope that helps.

Guest wayne459

Hi Dave,I have got all of that so far, and after I input the waypoints that "route finder" show, I get a message on the FMC stating ther's a "discontinuity". This one of the problems I don't understand and the other one is how to setup the V1 Vr and V2.Wayne

You must set up the INT REF page first, then set up the takeoff page setting your flaps (on the left LSK section, top row) using the Right LSK you set your flaps.where you see -- V1 -- VR ect, hit the LSK next to those and the speed will input on it's own (as the FMC computes what they will be based on weight and flaps).

For the disco just hit DEL, then the disco LSK that should clean up the route.