Sign in to follow this  
Guest Celt

Holding

Guest Celt

Some questions for you all . . .When a STAR has a hold, how do you . . .a) exit the hold if the moment you enter it (and teh FMC have made teh HOLd the active leg) you are cleared to proceed? (if you are cleared before you enter the hold you just delete the entry from the LEGS page right?):( continue to hold for more than one circuit?c) manually enter a hold in a flight plan?Ant pointers to procedures would be welcome . . .

Chris,on the bottom right of the fmc hold page you should see an exit hold prompt,if you hit this it should change to exit armed,this means next time you pass over the hold fix you will continue to your next downroute waypoint.if you don`t press this the aircraft will continue in the hold all day while you remain in lnav.you can enter a hold at any waypoint by pressing the hold button,which displays a page that looks just like the legs page but has a hold at --- prompt at the bottom. just line select the waypoint you want to hold at into this prompt, then the hold page will display a page where you can enter your inbound course and leg times.regardsjon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest Celt

Brilliant, although that sounds like the 737 . . .the 747 looks a bit different, but I should be able to work out the difference . . . great . . . it only leaves question 1 . . . if I have just entered the hold and wish to immediately exit it (say I got clearance just as the FMC flipped into hold mode) how do I do that . . . I don't want to have to fly a whole leg (and that might annoy ATC). Is there a quick way of telling the FMC to navigate directly to the next waypoint (i.e. to skip the current one)?

I'd just switch to heading mode, get the airplane flying toward the next waypoint, bring the next waypoint into the active waypoint, and input in the appropriate intercept course, execute and readjust the heading to intercept the course line.Once you enter the hold, you'll fly the hold indefinitely until you exit the hold, so you shouldn't have any problems with #2.Sorry..edit... Steve

Guest thscholz

>>Brilliant, although that sounds like the 737 . . .the 747>looks a bit different, but I should be able to work out the>difference . . .>Chris,Jon flies the 747 for a living.;-) CheersThomas

Chris,hitting the exit hold button will take you straight to the holding fix in a tight turn, without flying the remainder of the holding pattern.you are then free to line select any downrote waypoint and make it the active all without leaving LNAVregardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Thomas,Don`t let Mr Branson hear I make a living out of it or he`ll cut my wages,he only likes to pay enough for people to make an existance not a living :-)cheersJon

787 captain.  

Guest thscholz

>Thomas,>>Don`t let Mr Branson hear I make a living out of it or he`ll>cut my wages,he only likes to pay enough for people to make >an existance not a living :-)>>cheers>>JonWell, same here. But at least you have fun.CheersThomas

Guest Celt

>Thomas,>>Don`t let Mr Branson hear I make a living out of it or he`ll>cut my wages,he only likes to pay enough for people to make >an existance not a living :-)>>cheers>>JonNow that's scary . . .you don't fly the EGLL-KSFO route on VS019/020 do you . . .

Chris, I'm pretty sure I've seen Jon post he has flown to KSFO. So he's probably done those flights once or twice.

Chris,yes, thats my favorite route VS19 LHR-SFO,though don`t get as many as i used to, looking at my log book,only been there twice this year, 4th April and 12th of Feb.regardsJon

787 captain.  

Guest thscholz

>so whats your least favourite route jon? :)I guess it's EGLL - BIKF.;-) CheersThomas

Guest Celt

>Chris,>>yes, thats my favorite route VS19 LHR-SFO,though don`t get as>many as i used to, looking at my log book,only been there>twice this year, 4th April and 12th of Feb.>>regards>>JonReason I ask is that I fly aspax on that route fairly frequently . . .never get upgraded from Premium Econ to Upper Class though ;-) For some reason landings at KSFO are always smoother than at say KLAX, or KEWR where I also fly to often . . . very long straight approaches as well help I guess . . . I then take a United Express "puddle jumper" to Sacramento . . . as that requires a walk across the apron it's always interesting to take a good look around with my a/b radio in my ear . . .

Chris,you may have a point there about the landings.its probably because we tend to get lined up and visual quite early at sfo so we tend to hand fly for the last few mins and get settled into flying the aircraft so make a smooth flare. lax and ewr are far too busy to be messing about hand flying,so we typically take out the autopilot only for the last 1000-500 ftsorry we no longer have any authority to upgrade people onboard we are only pilots! the ground staff do all that now or I`d sort you out! the upper class suite is very good though!cheersjon

787 captain.