Sign in to follow this  
Antonio Lapa Gomes

2 small video clip teasers for the coming MD-11

I found it and replied. Those 2 songs sound alike..lol. Thanks for the info :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

>What does the MD-11 use for navigation modes? I presume LNAV>and VNAV are Boeing only systemsPaul,the systems are basically the same, they just have different names...LNAV on the MD-11 is the NAV-mode, and VNAV is the PROFILE-mode.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Interesting videos! I was just wondering if the PMDG model will allow us to turn down the music... there must be a button somwhere on that panel...Great find anyway - thanksRobert

Hi, for the KL 753-754Bonaire-Quito-Guayaquil-Bonaire video. The capt is diving to the runway, isn't it? The PAPI is all white, and I see much terrain in the front window during the approach......thanks ben

Keep in mind that the MD11 is very tall as well. The camera sometimes is also high to capture what is going on. because of the camera angle it also looks like he's diving when in some cases his nose is actually high in the flare. You can see in some of the frames when they pan the camera back to the side that it looks more normal.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest FlyMD11.nl

What happens at the final part of the approach into quito is that the original approach angle is normal. This angle takes you over some nasty terrain. (The possibilty of a terrain warning is even noted on the approach plate) After you have passed this little but high hump you are required to leave the 3 degrees glidepath and bring it down vissually. Mind you, as the airport is pretty high and warm for this altitude your airspeed is high too. It sometimes takes some drastic correction to get to the runway. That's why at sometimes you will be white-over-white (a little) to land.Hope this clarifies the captains actions a little.[{EDIT}] Eventhough the above is applicable to runway 35 I saw the actual footage is from runway 17, which is a circling. This one is even harder to fly. The initial approach is the same for R35 but at around 2000' above the runway you break off to the right and fly a visual circuit. This circuit is described in detail on the app plate because it's not a standard visual circuit. One line in the plate says "When roling out on final keep descending as you are not high eventhough the picture you see tells you otherwise" There is some terrain coming up from a shallow valley and the runway itself is sloped. This gives the impression of being low. I have seen quite some circlings and eventhough it was stated on the app plate almost all PF's tend to lift the nose to correct their view outside. The result is a whiet-over-white situation as they where not in a low situation at the first place.The discussion about the clips being nice or not: These clips were taken by someone who is a C/A himself and he is a boyfriend of a C/A. (She's in the clips too) The purpose of the clips was not to give an impression of an approach into Quito but to capture a week in the life of them and their collegues. These clips are generally known (amongst collegues) as giving a good impression of that.

His website only says he's in the audio visual business as a freelance editor. If he is a cabin attendant it would explain his access. As an impression it's fine, but for information on the flight or the MD11 it's lacking (not the purpose I agree).I guess the whole thing is on the DVD he mentions. Sadly his website doesn't give a link to obtain it.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest D17S

Needed a route for an engine out test flight I was doing so Quito got the nod. I used their Bonaire-Quito route (. . .from an earlier post.) "Quito (SEQU) is a Great airport. Some amazing scenery inbound. Chile is quite a country. The airport is a lot like Kaitak with big terrain to the left . . except it

Wow,Quito is in Chile?I'm glad this is all virtual!Cheers,Paul in Lima, Brazil :-)

Sam,Quito (SEQU) is in Equador! You should check your geography knowledge:-hmmm A nice scenery for Quito is the one made by Boris Forero, it's payware and not very expensive and it's available thru simmarket. There's also a Demo of it in avsim library do a search using his name to get it and some other freeware scenery he made for other cities of Equador also with good quality! Searching for: 'boris forero' in Flight Simulator 2004 - Scenery and below.Check his site's url also for some pics:http://www.borisforero.com/ RegardsALG

Guest D17S

Well, I DO know that after turning onto the QIT 167 radial at DME 16 . . . then after I disco'd the AP so the great Cap-i-tan could hand fly the final on 3 engines, I crash-landed somewhere! Little, virtual fire trucks standing by on the parallel taxiway is probably not a good sign, you think? Give it a try. The RNAV sequence is:Destination SEQU / RW 35 will autotune ILS (110.50/351)(Careful. Airport field elevation is 9725'.)QIT (IAF)QIT150/12 at 17000 (Downwind)QIT150/16 (Start base turn) QIT167/16 (Rolling out on final)QIT167/12 (LOC/GS capture-end Lnav) QIT167/8 (For momma) Thanks for the scenery tip. Actually, I was impressed by the general scenery all the way. I had FSGenesis 78m mesh, but that was about it. The terrain looked good. With my 3 engine altitude restriction, I was at FL240 . . . a great sight seeing altitude. As I progressed west bound (across the northern part of the S. American continent), I actually detoured around looking for big terrain. I have FSNavigator. I'd spot some interesting looking stuff off to the wherever, then pop into FSnavigator and pick out a VOR or two in that direction and plug it into the FMC. Even in those remote areas, that FMC data base never missed a beat. The FMC would popup two or three VORs sometimes. I'd pick one and watch for the 'insufficient fuel' message (meaning oops, I'd just re-routed my flight through Greenland!). It was a real adventure. There's a beautiful N-S valley that leads into the Quito area. Huge mountains everywhere. This is really pretty amazing stuff.Where shall we go next?

Sam,just in case you decide to install the SEQU scenery mentioned above, you should also install the landclass file available on the mentioned website. Otherwise you might get some huge autogen buildings placed right in front of the thresold RWY17. That would make the circling approach even more difficult to fly :)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard