Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Great real world Cathay cockpit 744 video

Guest Matthias1975

If I remember right this is a short cut of a whole video that was included as a VHS tape when I bought the PSS 744 some years ago. :-)

HiYes it is and that's Captain Don Grange at the commands of Cathay Pacific CX250 from LHR to HKG Kai TakI've got that VHS tape also, Justplanes ITVV video bundled with the PSS744ALG

Great Video, thanks for sharing it with us mate :)

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

It seems someone not too much concerned with copyrights just dumped some parts of the DVD onto the web... Anyway that thing is available on DVD directly from ITVV:http://www.itvv.co.uk/cpab747400.aspIt is not as detailed as the Virgin one but you get a nice approach into Kai Tak! And Don Grange of course is just great. So forget that lowest quality google video and whatch the whole thing, you won't be disappointed.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Actually I own quite a few of the ITVV vids. Among them>>>767-300777-200MD-11737-300747-400 (Cathay Pacific)747-400 (Virgin Atlantic)A320The least fav of the bunch is the 747-400 Cathay Pacific one and the 777-200, I think because most of the orientation takes place in a simulator.Among the ones I have not mentioned which are any good? I don't want to be dissappointed like I was with the 777 one.(BTW, love the rest to bits, the MD-11 with Rudd Baker is simply amazing)

altstiff, what's your real name btw, I think my favorite is the MD-11 video. I think I like it better the the Virgin 744 video even though they don't go over the overhead.

That clip made me laugh.I had the pleasure of flying with Don Grange a few times when he left Cathay and came to Virgin a few years ago,he always made me laugh with his stories,he`s a lovely chap.He sadly left virgin several years ago though.cheersJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

a couple of things i noticed from that vid. Looked like they made use of every inch of runway!! from what i heard they didnt use a derated take off. Also is it normal to manually move the throttles after the autopilot was kicked in like they did in the video? did they leave autothrottle off?

It should be mandatory viewing for those who say the sim (FS9) doesn't represent speed accurately. Looked like they were crawling, even at take off.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

Paul,If you watch the captain closely, he manually pushes up the throttles to 70 percent (or equivalent EPR value :) ), and waits a moment for the engines to stabilize. Then carefully watch his right hand and he will depress the TOGA switches on the sides of the throttle to engage the autothrottle.Now, both the captain and F/O 'guard' the throttles whilst a servo-motor is automatically pushing the throttles up. It looks like the crew are manually pushing on the throttles, but in reality they are backing up the servo movement. This is standard procedure. The captain will keep his hand on the throttle until V1 is called, then will place both hands on the yoke to complete the takeoff. If the pilot were to simply press the TOGA switches and remove his hand, you'd see the throttles move up by themselves like they were haunted. Scary stuff - like one of those player pianos! All of this does beg the question though: Since aircrews spend so much effort monitoring and backing-up the authrottle movement during takeoff, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just manually control them? EEC would still automatically control engine power during takeoff and climbout, with a minimum of pilot required input. If engine failure were to occur, the autothrottles would disconnect anyway when you throttled down the failed engine as is SOP. I dunno, sometimes it seem engineers come up with gizmos that seem to creat MORE work for aircrew at times. :)

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

I think a lot of the sensation of speed has to do with the flight deck's height above the runway, and perhaps to a lesser extent the rate of initial takeoff acceleration. The 747's cockpit is 4 stories high!I've watched videos of fighter jets taking off (from a cockpit perspective), and it seems like they are blasting off down the runway like a horizontal rocket. The sensation of speed is incredible, yet they are rotating at the exact same speed as a standard 747 takeoff (around 150-160 knots IAS).

That is my real name Mike,Al T Stiff..........

The Virgin 742 DVD is nice. I also have the A320 SAS sim DVD where the Cap

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden