Sign in to follow this  

What am i missing???? Dual monitors...

I am trying to activate multiple monitors with windows xp... so any help is appreciated. My video specs are geforce3 ti500 with dv1 out to old monitor, which by the way, is working right now mirroring the default monitor. Problem how do i install this second monitor ... I can not get xp to recongize that video card has two connected to it.Usually xp picks up on any new hardware... what am i missing.and then if we do figure this out.... do i need wide fs for msfs to utilize both monitors??? or is this an out of date way of multi display.again Thanks for any input....Steve

Guest SD Sim

Hi SteveThis is the second time that I have seen someone post this problem. But for starters, can we assume that you have already attempted to extend your desktop to the second monitor, and that this has failed?Regarding WideFS, you do not need this. However, don't expect to use your second monitor to do anything more than display non-view items (radio stack, FSNav, maps for instance). If you want additional views (such as front and side), you will need more than one PC together with WidevieW. If this is the route you wnat to go, I can help you learn more.Post a little more regarding your problem, and I'll try to help.

Hey Steve,Here is what I had to do to get it to work in XP...In the Bios, I set the video boot device to be the PCI card I installed as the 2nd video card.Then when XP boots, it boots on the PCI monitor, but (at least with my motherboard and bios) when XP finished booting, it automatically set the AGP gard as the primary device and all was fine!If your system does not change (or let you change) you primary device back to the AGP card, then this method won't work for you.Now, I used to have TWO extra monitors hooked up and working fine in Win98, but I haven't figured out how to get the 3rd monitor running in XP yet....This is FORWARD progress? :(I have read tons of hardware forums where others are complaining of the same thing, and I hope MS considers this worthy of a fix for their touted XP...I don't want to dual boot just to run FS in 98!Regards,Steve Dra(going through 3 monitor withdrawl) :)

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve, what version of the nVidia drivers are you using? Did it come with nView, which is their built-in utility for configuring multiple monitors?--Tony

Hey guys.... thanks for the quick response.....System spec checklist AmD 1.9gig geforce3 ti500 agp Viewsonic A90 (default) updated bios via 4n1's bought dv to analog convertor today for second monitor ( this works but it mirrors when it can keep up my default video monitor) not using a second vid card thought i could get dual monitor effect for flightmax and or fmc for pss 777 or flight one aircraft <<<--- would be nice not 3d - only 2d panels understood i guess what i need to know is how can i get win xp to recongize a second plug and play monitor

using 29.42's.... i tried using nview.... but doesnt system have to recongize second monitor.... I know probably making a mountain out of a mole hill.I read the posts on avsim... this forum and hardware forum... never saw any answers...Thanks guys....Steve

Steve,Right-click the desktop. When the "Display Properties" window pops up, click settings. Do you see two monitors there?If so, click on monitor 2 and click the "Extend my desktop onto this monitor" box.I have a GF4 Ti-4600 and a GF2-MX400 boards driving 3 monitors. I put FSNav on Monitor 2, and the GPS, Radio Stack, and Throttle Panel on Monitor 3. My operating system is WinXP.Rick

Thanks guys......But I think i found the answer..... UPGRADEfound a post that says ti500 not capable because it lacks a dual head capability the gf4's haveAppreciate the help - Steve