Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikeernie

Wing flex on the 747

Guest mikeernie

I was wondering if there is a safe way to do away with the wing flex on the 747? Like maybe an edit or effect file I can change ? The reason I ask is that in a FS video it looks rather, well, not very realistic...Thanks

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

Actually, the wing flex is pretty darn realistic in comparison to the real aircraft. I believe PMDG even modeled the flexing to a flight physics alogorithm that factors in both current aircraft weight and airspeed.Take a look at some 747 takeoff wingview videos over at www.flightlevel350.com (use the search engine there). You'd really be surprised at how much wing flex and wobble there is on the real machine. All of this being said, there is no way to modify the animation on the PMDG 747 without a hard re-coding the visual model.

Guest mikeernie

Thank you for the informative reply....perhaps I can just slow down the motion of my video to get a more smooth flex...

Rick check out the video on flightlevel350 from RJAA and watch the wing flex on the JAL 744. It looks almost like a U! Amazing how the engineers designed these wings to have so much flexibility. Especially when you consider its lifting almost a million pounds fully loaded. Joe

Guest mikeernie

Thanks for the replies guys....here is a short clip that will show what I am referring to...I like wing flex, but I'm getting more of a wing bounce...the bounce doesn't really seem to fit the flow of the action, it appears to be too fast....http://www.savefile.com/files/2742453

Guest SAS449

To me the flexing upon touchdown looks quite realistic.Bearing in mind the span of the wings, this behaviour is what to expect when hitting a hard surface. The shock sends ripples, or waves, throughout the wing, and as the wavelength isn't calibrated to the wing span, you get these rapid movements. Compare to how a whip behaves when you lash it.

i dont usually look outside views too much (or record my flights) but i did notice once the wings flexing.... they were flexing way too fast... they were sort of like chirping really hard... i've been on 747s many many times and never seen the wings chirp like that, its more of a 'fluid' motion in the plane

Guest mikeernie

That is more of what I was hoping for, a nice smooth wing flex...instead I'm getting wing bounce at a higher motion rate...thanks for posting the link...

>That is more of what I was hoping for, a nice smooth wing>flex...instead I'm getting wing bounce at a higher motion>rate...thanks for posting the link...yep, thats what I've been meaning too... the jerking of the wings ingame are more 'vibrant'its hard to explain lol

i had a look at the video.. could it be you bounced a bit on landing? I suppose the wing flex effect in the PMDG 747 is partially simulated by "sensing" ground contact... so if you bounced it could explain this effect. Luca

>I see little if ANY wing flex on this touch down I shot. Very>soft landing though.>>>http://www.virtual-speed.com/stiff/BA_747_fog.wmv>>>This video was taken a couple of meters away (at least 100 m), so wing flex isn't as pronounced as one would observe if closer up. one can't see as much detail (wing flex included) or observe little of any wing flex at the distance the video was taken.as a matter of fact, if you look closely on the port side of the wing tip, you can clearly see flexing.tomas

Clearly? I was there and I tell you I seen nothing like it is on the PMDG QOTS.Don't get me wrong, I love the big girl but I do think the wing flex is way over done.Ok, another video I shot of one landinghttp://www.virtual-speed.com/stiff/media/c...747_landing.wmvAnd again you don't see the movement like you do in the game. It is much more subtle.

alas, i see the difference of the wording. yes, you cannot see the wing flex as depicted on the simulator, but what i meant was one can clearly see it flexes, to the extent as it does on the sim, it does not.