Sign in to follow this  
Guest chaddy

Track IR4 and 747-400

Guest chaddy

Does anyone use a Track IR4 with their 747-400?, I'm thinking about buying the IR4 and would be grateful for any comments on its benefits particularly in relation to its usability of the overhead panel in the virtual cockpit, which I find very difficult at the moment and unrealistic.Thank youAlan Chadwick, Wales

It works very well. You'll need to tweak the axis gain settings but once it's adjusted to your liking, you can look up and twist your neck a little and the overhead will be available for clicking.It's also a matter of where you place the IR transiever, if it's placed too low, it will offer limited pitch axis field of view. PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Got TR3 Pro + 6 DOF attachmnet, which is basically the same as TR4.And it's wonderful. It really brings the VC to life.I can sit in the pilots seat look up and work the overhead. Look ahead at the runway, glance down at the displays. Lean over for a better view and click the AP buttons, set speed, move the gear lever etc. I have done full startups in the VC, only using the FMC panel for ease of use, as trying to click the buttons in the VC is posibble but a bit of a pain.Because you can lean back and to the right as well as looking up you can get a much better view of the controls than just panning in the VC. There is an element of wobble given that the whole system is movement based, but you can smooth is out to be easy to work with.Never been that much of a problem anyway.I have the arrow buttons on my keyboard mapped to move the view point around the cockpit, which helps as well as you can emulate leaning the body as well.Next to a decent yolk it's the best item you can buy.

I fly the 747 in the VC 100% of the time with the TrackIR. For me it was the best thing I bought for FS.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest CaptainCrunch

Like the other posts I have positive things to say about TrackIR. Especially good games for use with Track IR are: Jane's F-18, EECH (Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum), LockOn:flaming cliffs, IL2/Pacific Fighters. These all work well with little to no tweaking and the feeling of immersion you get is second to none.Flight Sim 2004 works very well in general too but for particularly complex cockpits - such as PMDG 747 - I find it can be hard to tweak all the view settings offered by the sim to allow me to work exclusively in virtual cockpit mode.Don't get me wrong - its mostly good but I've had challenges using the overhead switches and the middle console switches using the VC. I often switch to 2D mode to access these better.There's enough testimonials posted regarding TrackIR to make me think that its possible to configure FS2004/TrackIR in such a way as to resolve these issues. That's why I started the post here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=112711&page=Hopefully we'll be able to accumulate some "best practices" for using TrackIR with PMDG 747.