Sign in to follow this  
wongben4

terrain displays on ND

Hi, does anyone know that whether 744 (the real) has the terrain on ND function similar to airbus.ben

This is called EGPWS (Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System) and it is my understanding that it can be installed onto just about any glass cockpit aircraft now as a retrofit...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest gremel

Qantas-bird, good to hear from you. Got a trip scheduled on one of your birds in a few months to NZAA from KLAX. Do you have any Qantas hats left over from the PS1.3a days ??Regards & keep those birds in 'A' numero uno shape..jack

EGPWS requires a few additional switches in the cockpit (e.g. A TERR switch on each EFIS Control Panel). The existing PMDG GPWS aurals include some EGPWS aurals, but the system is not implemented.It's not impossible to model, but it can be graphics-intensive. Even on the real aircraft you will get EXCESS DATA messages on your ND screens telling you that you are trying to look at too many things at the same time (EGPWS, waypoints, navaids, airports, data, etc) and that the graphics computer is having trouble keeping up.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/149753.jpgCheers.Q>

Q, does this excess data msg mean that you may not get correct display for terrain? I'm sure you still get an audible alert but isn't the display the enhanced part? Then again if I hear "TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP! I really don't need to see it.:( Joe

I can't recall the manuals telling us what will happen in this situation, Joe.The display on the ND is composed of two different elements, one of which is a "raster" image. For CRT/LCD _overheat_, at a certain temperature, the raster components (weather radar, and I assume Terrain) are removed automatically. Then if overheat still exists, the remaining image becomes black and white.Excess Data is something different, however. Hopefully in this situation, the logic would remove non-essential stuff like route DATA and WPTs before it removed EGPWS displays. TERRAIN, TERRAIN, PULL UP aurals won't tell you where to fly (except up). You need the ND displays to allow the EGPWS to be fully effective.Cheers.Q>