Sign in to follow this  
Guest franksalot

PMDG B738NG - First problem

Guest franksalot

Just got my first problem with the NG since purchase 6 months ago.The Starboard engine will not start although I use the Procedure from the Manuals and always load the Default flight before loading the NG; the Port engine starts OK.It's quite likely something I have done; perhaps installed a program or similar. I would just like to know how to correct the problem, please.Ken DaySomerset, England

Guest Clansman

>Just got my first problem with the NG since purchase 6 months>ago.>>The Starboard engine will not start although I use the>Procedure from the Manuals and always load the Default flight>before loading the NG; the Port engine starts OK.>>It's quite likely something I have done; perhaps installed a>program or similar. I would just like to know how to correct>the problem, please.>>Ken Day>>Somerset, EnglandHello Ken,Can you please check your isolation valve? It should be open or auto, because otherwise, APU bleed air won't reach the starboard (right) engine preventing it from starting.See here: http://www.b737.org.uk/pneumatics.htm (2nd to last schematic)The pneumatic flow schematic clearly shows the apu bleed inlet and valve, and, between the engine start outlet and the cpu bleed circuit, there's the isolation valve.I've tried exactly this yesterday: I left the isolation valve closed and tried to start both engines (left eng starts, right doesn't), to see if the PMDG guys modeled this particular issue of the pneumatic systems. Of course they did.Cheers,Pedro Venda.

Guest franksalot

Hi Pedro,Now that is what I call a 'definitive' answer :) I had the Isolation switch on AUTO; but when I moved the switch to OPEN the right engine fired up. So that was the problem. Thank you for sorting that out for me.Going back to the fact that I start Fs9 with the Default flight; I always have a doubt in my mind about whether I should Stop the engine, and close down the Avionics of the Cessna 172 before loading the B738NG - so thatthe B738 is loaded Cold and Dark. What is your opinion?Ken

Guest Clansman

>Hi Pedro,>>Now that is what I call a 'definitive' answer :) I had the>Isolation switch on AUTO; but when I moved the switch to OPEN>the right engine fired up. So that was the problem. Thank>you for sorting that out for me.hmmm, I believed that the iso.valve would work in AUTO but...>Going back to the fact that I start Fs9 with the Default>flight; I always have a doubt in my mind about whether I>should Stop the engine, and close down the Avionics of the>Cessna 172 before loading the B738NG - so that>the B738 is loaded Cold and Dark. What is your opinion?Generally, I use the PMDG cold&dark save, change the location (airport, gate, time of day, etc) and save it again. I'm not sure if turning off the cessna and then loading the pmdg 737 results in a correct cold&dark situation... Gatekeeper has an option to put the plane on some gate in a cold&dark situation - but I've never tried it; not sure if it works either.Cheers,Pedro Venda.

Guest franksalot

Hello Pedro,Yes, I think the No. 2 engine did start for me in the Auto position in the past - but no matter, if Open works, Open it is for me :)I'll look for the PMDG Cold and Dark situation and use that.Ken

Guest tmetzinger

If you had the valve in AUTO, and the right engine bleed turned on, it won't start.Be sure that both your engine bleeds were off when starting with the APU, and then it should start with the valve in OPEN or AUTO.

Guest franksalot

Hello Terry,I'll have to check that; it may be exactly what caused the Right engine prblem - as Pedro said he had no problems using Auto.Could you give me a link to your PMDG B737NG Tutorial, please. I had the tutorial when I first purchased the NG, but I've 'lost' it after a few re-installs.KenSomerset, England

Guest thscholz

Terry??? I guess you mean Timothy.;-) There is no link to that tutorial. Timothy had to withdraw his tutorial for copyright reasons.CheersThomas

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Ken,I have saved the default Cessna with everything switched off at various locations around the world. So when I want to use the PMDG 737 I always load up a saved Cessna flight first and then change planes. I tried other ways and I always had some kind of problem so now I just do it that way every time.

Guest franksalot

Hi Thomas,Oops! Sorry Timothy."There is no link to that tutorial." - That's why the Link on the PMDG Website does not function.Thank you, Thomas.Ken

Guest franksalot

Hello Dave,Thanks for that info. Just what I've been looking for.Ken