Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ohio330

Newb Questions

Guest Ohio330

I finally have everything together in making a successful flight, except one area that has me stumped, and I can't find anything in the manual that explains my problem. I have been training in the 737NG, using FSBUILS ver 2.2, and built a route from KCLE (Cleveland) to KTPA (Tampa), with the route using the DARBS1 (STAR) ending with using runway 18R (using DILS18R)at Tampa. Loading this route into the FMC shows a "disco" between the final point in the DARBS1 star (being DARBS) and the runway. Am I supposed to enter something for the disco'ed entry, or is it normal to have a discontinuity in the LEGS? If it is not normal, how do I go about finding what I need to enter? OR, assuming it's normal, is the DARBS point the location I would assume that ATC would then give me instructions on what to do to line up for final? I hope my question was understandable..Im just confused why there is some kind of "discontinuity" in the route. I also want to thank PMDG for posting the training lessons on the 747. Although I don't (yet) have the 747, It has cleared up a lot of questions I have had about takeoff procedures, as well as some FMC questions...keep up the good work! -Adam Harmon (737-600/700 Captain)(EDIT) disregard the above, as I see there is another active topic about the same thing..but it still leaves me with one question. I have tried to fix the discontinuity, but all I get when i try to enter waypoints, that are more inline with my final approach, is, "NOT IN DATABASE". Am I to assume that this route im trying to take is unfixable?

Without looking at the STAR, I suspect that it provides route guidance up to a point where the instructions are, "expect vectors to final." This is where a disconnect usually occurs because the SIDSTARS files provided by Terry do not use the 'VECTORS' command. Whether you enter something or not depends on how you are flying: If you are using an ATC service (MSFS AI or VATSIM) simply fly the vectors given to you, you may activate the final approach fix by 'lifting' it to the top line of the LEGS screen. If you are not, then what I do is either manually connect the route with the LEGS screen or fly my own headings. All the missing vectors command does is eliminate the disconnect and insert a vectors line in on the LEGS screen, you can just 'wing it.' There are a few airports where the STAR takes you directly to the IAP IAF (Initial Approach Fix), such as KLAX, KLAS, KDFW... but most FAA STARS still rely on radar vectors by one or two approach control sectors.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Ohio330

Ahh..thanks soo much Dan! That helps a lot. Yes, my intention is to use this plane in VATSIM ..heh, too bad all stars dont take you right to final..it would be nice and easier for controllers if all they had to say was, (While chewing on a sandwich)"Looking good..come on down!" :)