Sign in to follow this  
Guest eduf

Crosswind Landings

Guest eduf

Hi Folks!This has nothing to do with the PMDG Products, but i think that most aviation enthusiasts will enjoy this video... It wasn't made by me, but it sure is amazing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzE4nIMVXmQBecause the Subtitles are written in Portuguese, I will translate them for you:" ...We don't have calm winds everyday... ...What to do in these situations?... ...FLY!... ...Come back to your training times... ...Remember your Instructors... ...And Land Safely... ... These Pilots certainly flown conventional aircraft... ...Learn with the Best... "The translation is so-so, but i guess you can understand the message...Regards,EduardoSBCT

I've seen this at a number of different places, but I love seeing it everytime! Its incredible to see the capabilities of these heavies!Does anyone roughly know what the (cross)wind speeds were?

Alaister Kay

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

What you guys are actually seeing are quite horrible crosswind landings :) If you consistantly landed like this for an airline, you'd be hunting for a new job pretty quick.These videos were made by the Boeing flight test department in order to evaluate the landing gear side loading capability. The test pilots purposefully landed at an angle to the runway centerline in order to accomplish these tests. The CORRECT crosswind procedure is to maintain drift correction via heading into the wind, known as 'crabbing', then using the rudder to align the aircraft with the runway centerline at the commencement of the flare. Poor technique in this regard results in the aircraft touching down at an angle offset from the centerline as you are seeing here, thereby imposing a side-load on the gear and stressing it (in this case on purpose). Aircraft manuafacturers like Boeing have to take into account the reality of poor piloting technique however, and aircraft must be cabable of 'being abused' to some degree :)

Guest eduf

:( I never said that they were perfect landings, I said it was a nice movie =PEduardoSBCT

Guest capntom

The 747-400 is indeed a good Xwinder, one just has to be really carefull about dragging a (engine) pod. In winds up to thity knots directly across, the crab, wing down and realignment at the last minuite works pretty well, this is the technique that the autoland uses, very well! The plane can be landed in stiffer X-winds, though this is beyond the DEMONSTRATED limit for certification. The one thing a heavy does have going for it s inertia, which allows one to 'kick out' the crab before much drift developes. Boeing does actually recommend landing in somewhat of a crab in very bad conditions. However due to the sweep of the wing, it can be exciting keeping the upwind wing from rising. In the full motion sim I have landed in 45 knot X-winds, no comment about real world experiences...Tom

Guest millimeter

About the upwind wing.. isn't the procedure to force the upwind wing down a couple of degrees by landing on the wheelset closest to the upwind?

The upwind wing needs to be lowered to stop the drift away from the centerline. In otherwords, the rudder lines the the aircraft lengthwise axis up with the runway and the bank creates a cross-controlled "turn" into the wind to stop drift away from the centerline. For me at least, it is something that had to be learned through repetition to become smooth and proficient. Now as for the touchdown, the upwind main gear is the first to make contact due to the bank, but for no other reason. Best policy is to get everything on the ground promptly to avoid the unpleasant affects of a gust at the wrong moment. Lucky for me, the winds in Corpus Christi TX in the afternoon are always a brisk 15-20 kts from about 140 and I land 170, so I get my practice.While in the Air Force, I used to watch B-52s land in a crab... they can "steer" their mains for a crab landing. However, they couldn't use the bank method due to the wingspan and dual engine pods on the outboard, so the added complexity had to be built-in. Really something to watch.

Dan Downs KCRP