Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747-NUT

ILS Dispay Problem.

Guest 747-NUT

Hello All, I'm new to this forum, and to the PMDG 747-400.Although I have a slight issue, which I've searched for but can't seem to find an answer for.Having had the PMDG 747-400 for about 2 months now, and have made countless good flights, some of which are on Google Video... ;o)My queston is this:The ILS display is working 99.9% of the time when on approach, and is a real exersise in precision flying... especially in the rain and wind... ;o)However, on the odd occasion the display "hops".. for example, at 8NM from touch down the localiser and glide scope has been intercepted, the speed is set fine, and only small movments are required to keep her aligned, but all of a sudden the display jumps either full left of full right. Literally in a split second.So I try to counter by flying at it, not madly but just in 5 Degree increments. then it jumps the other way. Needless to say this swaying motion makes all the PAX feel rather ill, and I must be costing BA a fortune in sick bags.This carries on until I have visual on the airfield, where I just give up on ILS, and fly it in using the seat of my pants. :()I trust this is not the "order of operation", but rather a glitch.Mostly though, it works fine keeps it track and touchdown on the numbers, it's just every so often, Cheers.Matt

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

Does this occur at a certain airport or in a certain area?It could be a scenery related problem rather than a problem with the plane itself.

Guest 747-NUT

>Does this occur at a certain airport or in a certain area?>It could be a scenery related problem rather than a problem>with the plane itself.Thats a intreasting thought. I've only had it with EGLL (1 time out of 10) and KJFK (3 times out of 10) Never with LMML or anywhere else in Europe.I'll do some more approaches tonight with the scenery aspect in mind, see if I can re-create the problem consistantly.Thanks for your help.CheersMatt

Check and see if the approaches you are experiencing the jumping at might have shared frequency localizer/glideslopes at each end. Unlike the real world FS keeps both ends hot.If this is so, use the free AFCAD2 utility, go into each end for the runway properties, and turn off the back course on these.What might be happening is that unless you are within a couple of degrees of the localizer, the NAV instruments are locking to the wrong one. At the type of airports mentioned it is possible to be a short distance out and be attempting to line up on the wrong virtual beam. Is the localizer ID constant and correct on the annunciator?

Guest 747-NUT

Thats it, it seems to have stopped after using that Utility.Well I'd NEVER have got that one.I spent ages last night flying into EGLL, opposite ends of each runway are on the same frequency, so it seems as though I'm lining up on 09R, I could also be lining up on 27R, and at KJFK the needle was spot on EVERYTIME.If I fly an approach perpendicular the the runway the needle goes wild...without this utility. Thats brilliant, cheers for all your help guys.Cheers.Matt

Glad it worked for you.The clue is (maybe on the NG) you'll see at times the wrong localizer ID on the tiny letters below thw annunciator on the PFD. I make it a practice to always check the ID when doing a merge until I'm locked on and if any swings occur to glance at it again.The default for FS is to enable back course on all ILS which of course is not true for shared frequencies.