Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevesj

Virgin a/p disconnect on approach

Guest stevesj

HiOn the Virgin 744 DVD, on finals I am sure Alan C says something like 'there goes the autopilot' following the 'whoop whoop'disconect sound. What I am not sure about is does the a/p disconnect itself and why or did it disconnet because of another action.Whilst on the subject I can't tell if they land with A/T on or off ?Many thanks for any info, this is puzzling me :-)Steve

Steve,haven't seen that DVD in a long time. But to switch of the AP you just press the disconnect switch on the Yoke. I'm sure that's what he did on that very moment of deactivation. Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Steve -I think Cpt. Carter pushes the A/P disconnect switch on his yoke when at 210 feet (decision height), after which he calls something like "Autopilot's disconnected". You have several methods available for disconnecting... you can either pull the disengage bar on the MCP, extensively move the yoke, hit the trim switches or - as seen here - press a button on the yoke. Results are the same. The A/P should, under normal circumstances, never disconnect itself.A similar button is located on the throttles for disconnecting the A/T which he uses some 100 feet above the runway, prior to flare. Obviously there was no aural warning associated to it, but if you listen closely you can hear the switch clicking ;-)Holger.

Guest capntom

Haven't seen the video, but the description of how to disconnect the autopilot is correct. In FS hitting "Z" key works, or you can mouse the disconnect bar on the MCP panel. The disconnect of the autothrottle is usually accomplished at the same time as the autopilot. On a wholly handflown approach, especially one with a engine out, use of the autothrottle introduces pitch (and eng out gives yaw) with each power adjustment, which requires flight control adjustment, which causes the autothrottles to move again and on an on. A good rule, for approach, if autopilot is off, autothrottles off..Tom

Guest stevesj

Hi HolgerThanks for the info,I am sure you are right here. I forgot about the yoke button. I will listen for the a/t disconnect again it's not easy to see. I suppose the camera is trying to show as much as possible and not focus on one thing too muchCheersSteve