Sign in to follow this  
razorseal

Having problems with inputting route

Hello,I'm trying to replicate this flight http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL2280 and when I try to input the route that is on there, the FMC is saying that VQQ is an 'invalid' entry. also when I try to put the CANUK3 it says that it is not in the database... why is this happening? I have the latest AIRAC as well... (it actually let me input the VQQ fine witht he default AIRAC, but not CANUK3 which is why I updated) now its not letting me put VQQ or CANUK3can anyone help me please?EDIT: I just tried putting VQQ direct and that worked... but it will not do VQQ VIA J81thanks!

another thing i'll add is that I tried making the route on FSBUILD and VQQ showed up ok, but the CANUK3 wont show up there either... FSBUILD has the latest AIRAC as well...thanks!

Emir,CANUK3 sounds like an arrival procedure to me. When it comes to terminal procedures it doesn't mean you have them all just because you have the latest AIRAC. Check at www.navdata.at if they have some updated terminal procedures (SID/STAR) files for KATL. You might be lucky to have CANUK3 programmed there. Or you can find the arrival charts for KATL at www.myairplane.com and fly/program the procedure by hand.Will try the VQQ thingie for ya...Hope it helps,

hey Matsif you input the route that they have at that site without CANUK3 onto a map/plan builder you will see that they look diff. so i'm almost positive its a navaid. if you dont have a flight plan builder I can take a pic for ya to show u how thy look diff.

Emir,Here's the CANUK3 STAR:http://myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00026CANUK.PDFFrom VQQ(CECIL) transition you should continue on the CANUK3 STAR with all the fixes it contains i.e VQQ..CHESN..BAXLY..DBN..RIPPI..SINCA..CANUK..HUSKY..EMJAA..ZAMAS..BEYAP..FOMAR..FENJE..JIMDOAfter that it's radar vectors to the initial approach fix (IAF).EDIT: I just checked the route and J81 to VQQ when importing a route from FSBuild via COROUTE is no problem in the NG. But if you try to manually enter VQQ via J81 you get an invalid entry error. Entering the fix before (ORL) and after (YULEE) works fine though. As ORL and VQQ are consequtive waypoints it doesn't matter if you enter VQQ as a DCT waypoint. That should work for you.The terminal procedure is old though. It's the CANUK1 arrival. the number in the end tells you the ordinal of the procedure CANUK3 is a later departure than CANUK1. Downloading Terry Yingling's procedures from www.planepath.com should give you the CANUK3 arrival as Dave explained in his reply to this post.Hope it helps

The are two primary sets of data you need to download when updating your navdata. One is the AIRAC from Richard Stephan at navdata.at. That contains airports, navaids, airways, fixes. The other is the procedures from Terry Yingling at www.planepath.com. This contains the SIDS, STARS, and IAPs. If you get the latest version of these two, 0605, you'll be all set. The CANUK3 is contained in the procedures data from Terry Yingling at www.planepath.com.

Dave Paige

>Emir,>>Here's the CANUK3 STAR:>>http://myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00026CANUK.PDF>>From VQQ(CECIL) transition you should continue on the CANUK3>STAR with all the fixes it contains i.e >>VQQ..CHESN..BAXLY..DBN..RIPPI..SINCA..CANUK..HUSKY..EMJAA..ZAMAS..BEYAP..FOMAR..FENJE..JIMDO>>After that it's radar vectors to the initial approach fix>(IAF).>>EDIT: I just checked the route and J81 to VQQ when importing a>route from FSBuild via COROUTE is no problem in the NG. But if>you try to manually enter VQQ via J81 you get an invalid entry>error. The terminal procedure is old though. It's the CANUK1>arrival. the number ni the end tells you the ordinal of the>procedure CANUK3 is a later departure than CANUK1.>>Hope it helpshuhlol :(

Thanks Dave,That means the terminal procedure file for KATL at www.navdata.at is obsolete. It contains the CANUK1 arrival. Usually it's the other way around... ;-)Cheers,

hey mats, I'm just confused about the whole situation... so now I know that CANUK3 is an apporoach procedure, does this mean I put this on the routes? (because it will not accept it) what exactly is that? I didnt really understand anything from the apporoach thing u showed me...and for the J81 and VQQ I still dont understand how it can be entered via fsbuild, but not manually... is it a bug or something?

Emir,>I'm just confused about the whole situation... so now I know>that CANUK3 is an apporoach procedure, does this mean I put>this on the routes? (because it will not accept it) what>exactly is that? I didnt really understand anything from the>apporoach thing u showed me...Do some searching around on the internet or here on the avsim forums on terminal procedures and/or SID and/or STAR. Terminal procedures are partial flight routes used for departures from an airport's airspace and for arrivals into an airport's airspace. They are used to get a nice flow within these usually crowded areas. Usually you build your flightplan with the first waypoint being an exit point for a departure procedure (SID) and the last waypoint in your route being an entry point for an arrival procedure (STAR). In yuor case the AAL flight didn't file any SID but did file a STAR, CANUK3. The entry point, or transition, for this STAR is VQQ.The terminal procedures are usually programmed into the FMS and can be entered via the ARR/DEP page. See the manual for a thorough explanation on how to use it.>and for the J81 and VQQ I still dont understand how it can be>entered via fsbuild, but not manually... is it a bug or>something?Looks like something's amiss. ;-) I will point the dev team to this post and another post with a similar problem. The workaround is to do a DIRECT to VQQ from ORL. As it is the next waypoint on the J81 airway it doesn't really matter if you enter go via J81 or DCT as you'll not miss any waypoints in between.Hope it helps,

>Thanks Dave,>>That means the terminal procedure file for KATL at>www.navdata.at is obsolete. It contains the CANUK1 arrival.>Usually it's the other way around... ;-)>>Cheers,Here's the thing. The procedures at www.navdata.at are just user created procedure files and the all-in-one is just a collection of these in one file. Because it is unlikely that these users keep the procedures up to date, you'll find that it is more likely than not that the procedures are out of date. Sometimes they are way out of date.I no longer use any procedures from www.navdata.at, just the AIRAC. I always download the procedures from www.planepath.com. After that the only other procedures I use are the updated ones by Dan Downs, he does a great job. And the ones by Tim Metzinger.

Dave Paige

Dave,That's all fine and dandy when you fly within the US and some bases of interest of the US military (DAFIF is maintained for the US military). But for the rest of us who like to fly elsewhere those user contributed procedures are higly appreciated and many of them are updated regularly as well.This KATL procedure was the first one I've seen that wasn't updated and I've been using the NavData procedures since the NG arrived in 2003(?)Cheers,