Sign in to follow this  
Brian Doney

FSUIPC 3.617 - Tiller

Registered users of FSUIPC that have an axis to spare may want to check this out:"1. (New in 3.617) A new axis control is added, for direct assignment in the Axis assignments tab, for a Steering Tiller. This uses the FS Rudder control, but can be calibrated separately (eg to be more responsive -- use the inverse S-shaped slope options).If the steering tiller axis is assigned, you must then calibrate it in FSUIPC's Joysticks section (this is on the same page as the PAN controls, sorry). It is then used as follows:When on the ground and at any ground speed less than 60 knots (default -- adjustable by MaxSteerSpeed parameter in the INI), the actual FS rudder action is controlled by a blend of the tiller and rudder axis inputs. At low speed it is predominantly tiller, and as speed increases the tiller becomes gradually less effective and the rudder input more so. Above the MaxSteerSpeed, or in the air, the tiller has no effect.As with all of the axis and joystick facilities, the calibrations, assigmnents and parameters such as MaxSteerSpeed, can be different for different aircraft."I did have an extra axis, a dial on my throttle, and it is working just beautifully, making ground handling much easier, with seemingly less speed bleed-off in tight turns, if that makes any sense.Available now as an "interim" version here:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=41519

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hi Brian,I noticed the size is only 223.54KB. Do we need to download and install the version 3.61 from Pete Dowson's website and then download this version or can I just download this version. The size is not very large at all and it's usually around 1.8 MB.Ken.

Hi Brian,Have you been able to make 45, 90, and 180 degree turns with the tiller yet? I'm having difficulties programming it to make these turns as it only seems respondsive at high speeds (like 12-20 knots effective). Please if you have share your experience with us. ThnxGus

That's becuase the .zip ONLY contains FSUIPC.dll, no manuals, etc, for interim versions.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I've had wonderful results, it is responsive to full throw even with barely any forward motion.Make sure you assign the axis in the Axis Assignment tab of FSUIPC:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/150568.jpgYou'll need to use the option "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration" to see it become available, IIRC.Then calibrate on page 9 under Joystick Calibration:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/150569.jpg

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest A32X

Is there anyway to move the rudder and tiller independently? i.e. for a rudder check when moving?-PaulP.S. Maybe with the MD-11 ??

The tiller is asssigned to a "spare" axis. You would still use the rudder pedals for the rudder.

Graeme Butler

Paul,"Is there anyway to move the rudder and tiller independently? i.e. for a rudder check when moving?"Unfortunately, no.The tiller is actually using the rudder axis, and has nothing specifically to do with the 744, the future MD-11, or any other aircraft, as it is entirely an FSUIPC function.If you just want to check deflection, then use the tiller axis.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest glenlee

Would it be possible to set up a control on an alternate joystick (i.e. I'm thinking of using the analogue stick on my game pad) If it's set up in FSUIPC only would that not just ignore FS9s joystick page?Glen Lee

Glen,"Would it be possible to set up a control on an alternate joystick (i.e. I'm thinking of using the analogue stick on my game pad) If it's set up in FSUIPC only would that not just ignore FS9s joystick page?"With my set-up, as far as FS is concerned, I have no flight controls connected, as far as even having the "Enable Joystick" checkbox unchecked.Every axis, knob, and button is configured directly through FSUIPC, and I find this a much more stable, and flexible, alternative.I do not have multiple controls, like what you say you'd like to attempt, so I cannot directly answer your question, sorry. I would be very surprised if it didn't work though.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest glenlee

Sounds possible then, I didn't know you could turn the joystick off from within FS9, I shall give that a go and dig out my gamepad and try that out.I let you know how it works......Cheers,Glen

Hi Brian,I've tried the tiller assignments in the FSUIPC version 3617 but it makes the nosewheel and steering very jerky, especially when I first start rolling. It's not a smooth movement like it should be. As I add a little power to start the rolling, it will sometimes jerk the the right all of a sudden. Is there anything I can check or do that will smooth this out? I really didn't see any difference in how it makes the 90 degreee turns without coming to a stop. Ken.

Hi Brian,Just tried it... works for me. VERY NICELY.Thanx for sharing !

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Ken,Sounds like a noisy axis, or, more likely an axis in need of calibration.Whatever axis you've assigned will need to be calibrated on page 9 of the joystick calibration tab, have you done this ?

Regards,

Brian Doney

>Ken,>>Sounds like a noisy axis, or, more likely an axis in need of>calibration.>>Whatever axis you've assigned will need to be calibrated on>page 9 of the joystick calibration tab, have you done this ?Hi Brian,I've thought of that but when I checked in the properties for my joystick, the cursers moves very smoothly. I have the Microsoft Force Feedback 2 but I do keep my force feedback turned off because the forces are way too exagerated. I did go to page 9 but I did not calibrate it. I guess I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks for the tip. I did noticed that when I first assign the axis, I have to go to page 9 and enter the checkmark first. It won't let me assign an axis until I do that first. Is that correct?Ken.