Sign in to follow this  
GTI1741

San Francisco, aviation related, what's to see when vis...

Any advice on what's to see Aviation Related while on vacation in KSFO. Thanks,Ken

Thanks for taking the time reading and posting. I'll check it out.Ken

Guest diskus

As the home of several major airports and many smaller ones, that is surrounded by 2000- 4000 foot hilltops, it is a wonderful area to watch, and with a scanner, listen to air traffic.Mike

What a great idea, Father's day is coming up and you know what? I need a scanner. Thank you very much.That should keep me busy for 1 day, 3 more to go.

>Moffett Field Museum, go see the large dirigible hanger>before it's torn down.And if you do that do not neglect to stop by and say hello to me. I work only about 100 yards from this place ;) Besides the hangar I can even show you the largest wind tunnels in the world (but only from outside). It is all here at Moffett.By the way the hangar will never be torn down - it is on this list of historical buildings in California. It is protected.You could also go to see aviation museum at San Carlos airport (about 5 miles from KSFO). You should be able to find its website. I would tell you right away that in my opinion it is more interesting place than what you are going to see at Moffett Field but it is a matter of opinion (Moffett Field is about 25 miles from KSFO).When at KSFO walk to its international terminal (very nice, classy place by its own right) and find a room that tries to recreate how this airport looked like about 70 years ago. It is a fun place but it is only opened during regular business days/hours - I believe 9-5, it is free.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest jeffg

I just got from San Francsico today after being out there for 10 days on vacation with my wife and daughter.The Hiller Air Musuem is south of SFO on Hwy 101 and its worth a look.I was not able to get out to Moffet Field.The Terminal at SFO is great to walk around in and the musuem in the International Treminal is very nice mainly dealing with Pan Am's history.I stayed at the Marriott at the airport last night before our flight out this morning,and it was great for plane watching.The hotel has a sidewalk which is public and I was watching planes land and depart 28L and 28R for about 3 hours. JeffG

Thanks Dan, Mike, Michael and Jeff. I will look into all of it. I'm really looking forward to the UAL flights in the 744 and 777 in and out of KORD and KDEN.Ken

Get copies of the STARs for the places you're traveling... then try to imagin where you're at in the procedure as the aircraft progress towards the destination. It's fun trying to figure out what's going on.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Ken,Where are you coming from that has a B744 on the routing? I used to live in the SFO Bay Area, although the terminal has been rebuilt since I lived there. I flew out on a UA B744 from SFO to Sydney and Melbourne recently, although I believe they use a different international terminal to some other flights- my flight left from terminal 9 if I recall correctly. The international terminal seems to be split into two parts on different sides of the terminal area. There's a great train ride around the airport too between the terminals with some great views of the aircraft.One of the highlights at SFO for me was driving along highway 101 adjacent to the southerly ends of 01 L and R, the aircraft on hold-short are very close to the highway. There may be a larger fence now for security reasons. I don't think you can park near there, but my wife always dreaded being in the car while I was driving past there as my eyes were never on the road!! :)I soloed at San Carlos airport many years ago now. It's also right off highway 101, not far south of SFO and the San Mateo Bridge. I used to like crossing the bay further south where I was out of Class Bravo, and could listen in on the Bay Approach frequencies and watch the aircraft passing overhead.As another poster here says, look at the STARs for SFO. I'm not sure where your coming from, but if east then you're most likely on the Modesto star. It takes you around almost overhead (just north of) the San Jose airport before aligning with the LOC for the SFO runway. Unless you get a visual approach, which often tends to cut that dog-leg out of the approach. If you're on UA, ATC will ask the pilot if he/she "sees the bridges or airport", then authorize a visual approach when they can be seen.The glide slope intercept is almost on top of the San Mateo Bridge. Lots of bridges in the SFO Bay Area, including the Golden Gate- which I would highly recommend you at least drive over, or maybe walk.Ironically enough I now live in the Denver area, which I see you are also passing through! Lots of good scenery if you get a flight before noon in this area- the thunderclouds usually build after that and the cloud cover increases quite dramatically at this time of year.Good luck with your trip!Bruce.

Thanks Dan. Bruce, I'll be flying out of KORD, on return we stop over in KDEN. Thank you also for the suggestion. I knew I'd get a good response posting here. Ken

You're welcome Ken. Which is the B744 leg?Thanks- Bruce.

Bruce,On the way out departing KORD.Ken

Thanks Ken. Bruce.

>although I believe>they use a different international terminal to some otherThere is only one international terminal (flights to Canada are with domestics) at SFO but it has two separate concourses that originate at both ends of the main terminal building. I think it is the finest airport terminal I have ever seen. Many airport terminals are claustrophobic in nature - not this one where you can actually see small birds flying inside - the amount of volume inside is immense. A nice touch are some interesting art exhibits that you can see in this building. For example 6 months ago when I was there they had a real expensive silver-sterling silverware on display. At some other time I recall admiring beautiful hand-made costumes used in theathers/operas - the exhibits keep changing and it is always something very unique that you are not likley to see anywhere else.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg