Sign in to follow this  
DF9AA

Windcomponent

Hi,I could not find any forum for my question - since I use PMDG products, I'll try here.Its most probably quite simple but anyway :I am looking for a formula to calculate the windcomponent for my flight planning project, I found a formula through Google but this will not work.Windspeed X cos( winddirection - track ) will produce funny results . . .Any ideas ?Karl from sunny ( and hot ) Berlin

Guest gremel

Why not spend a few bucks and get a Jeppesen CR-1 Student Computer. On the back of it is all you need for computing wind components etc.Regards,jack

I think he wants more of an average route wind...am I correct?I can calculate it, but that would be tedious...ASV does it for you.To find the horizontal and along path components, a diagram is in the manual.To find the avg route wind, u,d have to average the wind directions for the waypoints, and do the same for the speeds, to give an avg direction and avg speed.

Hi there - that formula is wrong.As Check Airman said, if it's route winds you're doing you're going ot have to find the average heading/average wind velocity/average wind component.The formula you are looking for is much better suited to takeoff/landing calculations:It is cos(HEADING - wind direction)*wind velocityI use this all the time to calculate my takeoff/landing headwind/tailwind components. Use the sine function istead of cosine if you want crosswind.See you laterRudy

I fail to see how that formula is wrong. Mine gives the avg route wind, yours will give the wind component along an axis.

Sorry for not being more clear - I meant the forumla in Karl's starting post!