Sign in to follow this  
Smoky942

FMC help

Just got the 747 and still have a long way to go. I'm stumped already with the FMC, so a little advice would be appreciated. No matter which eng.variant I choose, it ID's it as the GE model. When I go to the POS.page, it gives the position and the "set IRS" message, but there are no boxes underneath to put the position in. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?Russell.

Guest beans

Hi RusselI think 'set irs' refers to the 3 knobs on the overhead panel,near the top right hand -you have to set these at either nav or something.Tass

Well, I don't fly the 747, but IRS means Inertial Reference System.You have to "align" it before the aircraft starts to move to set your actual exact position.And yes, normally it is located in the overhead panel.Jose Luis Basanta

this is what you need to do:1. Overhead panel, turn OFF the thre IRU's (intertial reference units).2. Right click on all three ONCE. If you have the IRS system on real time, you will wait 10 min for alignment. If you have the option setting it for instant, then after a brief pause, you should hear a chime. Go to your FMC and in the POS page, you should see the blank boxes.3. Upselect the information on LSK 5 (or whereever the values are for your position) by pressin the button then downselect it to where the boxes are.As for the former question, never paid attention to the POS INIT page referencing the engine type. If it is GE throughout, it could be a glitch. Otherwise, I think it is just aesthetic. I could be wrong though...Report your finding directly to support@precisionmanuals.comTom

Thanks Tass,Jose and Tom. I had forgotten to click the IRU's. Trying to learn too much too soon, must have overloaded myself. I think the fact I noticed it showing the GE engine instead of the RR set me off looking in the wrong direction. Many thanks.Russell.

Russell, as Tom said downselect the LSK for the GPS POS to the scratchpad and update it. The GPS POS is the most accurate. Joe

Just in case anyone else is wondering why their Ident page shows the GE engine no matter which model is loaded, you have to spend another $30 on the freighter to get The 747-400 to display the correct engine. As I never fly the freighters, to my mind thats an expensive, below the belt method of getting a simple update, but there you go.Russell.

You are assuming it's a simple update.

What I'm assuming is that you should'nt have to spend $30 on an aircraft you don't want, just to get the ID page to display correctly on the one you've just paid $55 for.Russell.

That's all you want it for? Wow, you know this plane must be good when people start complaining about something like that.

It's not "just getting the ID page to display correctly" - the RR and PW models actually have different thrust outputs, fuel burns, etc and entirely new engine performance models had to be constructed in order for the FMC to produce accurate predictions. The RR and PW engine models use EPR as a thrust referrence, not N1 like the GE. That required a whole bunch of reprogramming of the way the FMC operates internally and was a very significant amount of work to do.It was stated from the very start of the 744 project that we wouldn't be developing the RR and PW engine instrumentation and programming until the 400F addon.Perhaps you'd like to complain to some of the other developers out there who don't even offer alternate engine types in ANY WAY AT ALL, yet seem to get a free pass on this subject?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

OK you guys, I stand corrected and bow to your superior knowledge. No offence intended.Russell.