Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

744 fuel management question - live...

I am currently on a 5500nm flight from Tel-Aviv to KJFK. I got an annunciation about 2 hours into the flight about the center tanks being ready for PRESS so I went up to the overhead and duly pressed. The instant I did so, I observed on the EICAS-Fuel screen that a big fat green arrow appeared on the synoptic and pointed to the left side of the aircraft fuel tanks.What is the function of this big green arrow?Jonathan

It just shows that the fuel remaining in the center tank is now drained into #2 main tank.You can see the other two arrows when fuel is pumped from #2 and #3 reserve tanks, as soon as the main tanks go below 40.000lbs.Pick up a copy of Mike Ray's Unofficial Simulator and Checkride Procedures Manual if you can.It even makes me sound like I know what I'mtalking about.Have Fun James

Hi-ho!OK, thanks, James.Man, this add-on ROCKS!Jonathan

Nothing like SIMPLE,. eh?I later got a tank/engine annunciation so I cut the x-feed with a coupla presses.Whole lotta pressin going on !Jonathan

You also need to turn off the overide pumps in tank 2 and 3.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Yes, thanks, Steve, that got annunciated later.I am still learning fuel management in the 744. I just press whatever is lit up as PRESS (!) when the EICAS gives me an advisory in yellow.I am posting a summary note of the flight above (or below, or wherever it will appear!)Jonathan

Guest abulaafia

by the way is there a way to automate this? I always miss it when I leave long hauls running over night and when I come back the tanks are terribly unbalanced. if not - maybe that's an option to include in future updates, "let co-pilot handle fuel management" :)

Sure, it means.....PRESS....!Jonathan

heh...yes, that is my problem as well....fly an overnighter and the fuel is always mucked up when I wake up....I tend to stick with the 777 for long overnighters as the fuel managment if fully automated with her.

Eric