Sign in to follow this  
Guest nik_the_greek

ITVV Virgin Atlantic 747-400 DVD --> just WOW!!!

Guest nik_the_greek

Hello fellow simmers,Just got the ITVV Platinum DVD faeturing a Virgin Atlantic flight from London Heathrow to San Fransisco....the only thing I can say is just WOW! This DVD is simply stunning! If you haven't watched it yet, go get immediatelly, it is worth every single cent you pay.This is my first ITVV DVD I ever watched, and I must say it has very clear shots, with the cameras being mounted in the cockpit. This gives you very steady shots of all instruments.The only thing I didn't like about the whole DVD is, that when first officer Allan Rattigan explains how the preflight work is done (V-speed calculation etc.) he isn't very understanding. I watched the DVD with a friend who doesn't fly the 747, and he didn't understand a thing! This part could have been a bit better... ;-)As a whole, I loved it, it is extremely informative, and Captain Alan Carter manages to make the funktion of each system very clear (given you know already some basic things about the 747-400).A small question though, to the ones who have already watched the DVD: towards the end, before landing in SFO, the first officer askes the captain if he wants "page two" on his FMC. He seems to be able to interract with the captains FMC through his own FMC (he indeed seems to be changing the page on the captains FMC). Is this possible, and if it is possible, is it modelled in the PMDG 747?...so, if you are a passionate 747 pilot go and watch this DVD, you will NOT regret it.(Can you recommend any other ITVV title? The Cathay Pacific 747-400 maybe, which also features a part in the simulator?)Happy flying,Nik

Hey Nik.Yeah I have it too!! Was just watching it this morning! It one of my favs from itvv. All their stuff is really top class.The Cathay Pacific one is good too, the majority of the film takes place in the simulator maybe only about 15mins of "real-life" footage. I don't think think that the First Officer interacted with the Captain's FMC from his own side. As he asks about "pg2" before the F/O seems to reach across the pedestal for something, possibly the Captain's FMC. And as the camera changes, you can see the Captain's hand moving away from the FMC as the page changes. So I reckon one of them changed the page for the Captain's FMC on that side.I really really recommend the Leisure Intl 767 DVD. It's really good and in depth, it has got quite an extensive section of ETOPS procedures and North Atlantic flying.Regards,Patrick.

The Virgin 747 video is my favorite. There is a United 777 from KORD to EGLL that is pretty good as well. It doesn't have the multiple camera shots like the Virgin video but worth a watch IMO.

Guest nik_the_greek

>The Cathay Pacific one is good too, the majority of the film>takes place in the simulator maybe only about 15mins of>"real-life" footage.But is is just 60 minutes long or something like that right? Is it worth buying?>I don't think think that the First Officer interacted with the>Captain's FMC from his own side. As he asks about "pg2">before the F/O seems to reach across the pedestal for>something, possibly the Captain's FMC. And as the camera>changes, you can see the Captain's hand moving away from the>FMC as the page changes. So I reckon one of them changed the>page for the Captain's FMC on that side.OK, then maybe I didn't take a close enough look...:-)CheersNik

The terminals that the captain and F/O use to read and load data (Airbus MCDU, Boeing, sorry I've forgotten) all access the same Flight Management Computer(s) so normally they will see the same data. Any change made on one side will be seen in the other.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest hirnwut

>The terminals that the captain and F/O use to read and load>data (Airbus MCDU, Boeing, sorry I've forgotten) all access>the same Flight Management Computer(s) so normally they will>see the same data. Any change made on one side will be seen in>the other.nope. the 744 is working with 2 fmc's and 3 cdu's. these fmc's are receiving information independend of each other and compare the data all the time.just check it out on your own 744 :(@lex

>first officer Allan Rattigan explains how the preflight work>is done (V-speed calculation etc.) he isn't very>understanding. I did understand it because I know how it is done in real life but I agree that for someone who never heard of it - it was simply too brief.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

>I did understand it because I know how it is done in real life but I >agree that for someone who never heard of it - it was simply too brief. Yeah it seems as though some knowledge is already needed, but it is certainly interesting to see how much work goes into flight prep.Nik, the Cathay one is quite short but he does demonstate things such as stalls, engine outs and quite a nice explanation of take-off procedures in the simulator.These aren't covered in the Virgin DVD but are quite nice to see. In regard to buying it or buying one of their other titles... I would say that since you have the Virgin DVD, you might look into buying one of the other DVDs. I have seen most of them and I really like all which I have seen. But if you are a 744 fanatic you will like the Cathay Pacific DVD but you already know most of what is presented.The 767, http://www.itvv.com/uleb767300er.aspthe 777, http://www.itvv.com/cpab777200.aspMD11 http://www.itvv.com/mpmd11dvd.asp are my favourites. Especially the MD11 since PMDG will be releasing one!! :)The 767 is 80mins long but as I said before contains quite a nice explantion of ETOPS and North-Atlantic flight procedures.The 777 is 100mins long and contains quite an extensive look at the systems and the new Flight Deck with electronic checklists and is quite interesting the whole way through.The MD11 is 180mins long and contains a lot of information, but the Overhead Panel and FMC are glanced over, but you hardly miss this as so much other information is presented! :)Hope this makes it a bit clearer!Patrick

Well maybe. Chapter 11 section 30 says: Under normal coditions the left FMC is designated the master for CDU operations. The left FMC controls the key pushes and which order(from either CDU?). The left FMC then updates the right FMC with the entered data and finally the right FMC updates the right CDU display. The master is selectable.Airbus is more or less the same in that it has a master FMGC. Each MCDU sends data to its associated FMGC and the data is sent across a crosstalk bus. Certainly the Airbus FCOM is clearer in emphasisng the two FMGCs check each other on a crosstalk bus.All good fun!;) Edited for clarity!!

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Hi Nik,What was it you did not understand about the pre-flight and the V speeds that Allen Rattigan was explaining in the Virgin Atlantic video?Ken.

Guest allblack

my 2c worth....Avoid the A330 DVD. On it's own, maybe ok. Compared to the Virgin one, rubbish.Just in case you were thinking about treading in that pond.That said, it's only one man's opinion ; )CheersTimNZWN

yes... they are all very good. too bad that in this post Sept 11 2001 world, we will not see them produced anymore.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest hirnwut

oh I didn't know! are all of their dvd's pre-9-11?@lex

Guest nik_the_greek

>What was it you did not understand about the pre-flight and>the V speeds that Allen Rattigan was explaining in the Virgin>Atlantic video?I didn't understand the general procedure of V-speed calculation, because it wasn't (in my opinion) explained very good. I think that the co-pilot assumed that if you watch the DVD you already have some basic knowledge of the 747.However, I took a good look at the PMDG 747-400 manual, at the section of V-speed calculation and I think I got it now. I re-watched the DVD and it is so much easier to understand it now. ;-)Thanks for your replyNik