Sign in to follow this  
Guest cx163

Turn on Battery and there is 'da da da da... ' sound

Guest cx163

Hi Is it normal that there is the 'da da da da' sound after the battery switch is turned on in pmdg-747?Regards,Thomas

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Is it constant? If so, may be the stick shaker?DP.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Guest woottsbj25

I believe that's the IRS alert sound, telling you that it's only on battery power. You need to turn all 3 IRS switches (top left of the overhead panel) to "OFF" until you've got AC power (either through the APU or Ground Power Unit).

I don't think the IRS on BATtery sound is simulated.Too difficult to say what it is, but it's not normal.Are the engines at takeoff power (and the park brake set/flaps not in takeoff range, etc) ????Cheers.Q>

Guest woottsbj25

Really? Thought it was... must have been thinking of *another* aircraft.Can you give us a more accurate description of the sound? There's quite a number of sounds in the 744 cockpit that go "da da da da" :D

Guest Jock in a Frock

>Hi >>Is it normal that there is the 'da da da da' sound after the>battery switch is turned on in pmdg-747?>>Regards,>ThomasThat's the Imperial March from Star Wars ;-)Andy Scholes.

"I have a feeling it could be the "Vibrometer" sound."In which case, it IS normal... if you have a regular Standby Altimeter... NOT the ISFD type :)Cheers.Q>

Guest Jock in a Frock

>>Thought it was Beethoven?;)>You sound card must be buggered. ;-)Andy Scholes.

Guest cx163

Yes, it is the "Vibrometer sound". How do i get rid of it? I don't understand "if you have a regular Standby Altimeter... NOT the ISFD type"Thomas

The regular Standby Altimeter on a B744 is an old-fashioned mechanical type instrument (bourdon tubes, springs and things). Because of this, the mechanism may be a little sticky in places.. which may make the instrument needle stick at various points... which means the altitude readout will be inaccurate. On light aircraft, there is sufficient vibration from the engine, etc, to help overcome the mechanism "stiction". On a 744, however, there is a lot less vibration, so this vibration has to be simulated. This is done with a small electric motor with a cam attached to it. This rattles the altimeter mechanism, keeping the internals moving smoothly. You don't get rid of da, da, da, da noise... it's normal. Assuming you have your sound levels at the default setting, then the noise shouldn't be too bothersome.On later series 744, the old fashioned Standby Altimeter, Standby Airspeed Indicator and Standby Attitude Indicator have been replaced with a single solid state LCD Instrument with no moving parts. It is battery-driven. No moving parts means that you don't need a vibrator to keep the instrument accurate. The composite instrument is known as the ISFD (you will find this on the PMDG Cargo update)Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

Guest cx163

Hi Qavion,Thanks for your clear explanation. Thomas

Guest Loiosh

-heh- There's some tech for you. I love some of the fixes that are thought up.