Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

RW 737NG-700 Long Range Short Runway

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KSNAI wonder how a 737NG-700 could lift off a 5700 foot runway with enough fuel at Orange County, Californis and fight the westerlies to get to PHNL Honolulu. The longest block I see within the last couple of days is 5:10. This is Aloha Airlines. Aircraft Boeing 737-700 (twin-jet) (B737/Q)Origin John Wayne Airport Orange Co (KSNA)Destination Honolulu Int'l (PHNL) Other flights between these airportsRoute CHANL1 RZS C1176 DINTY R576 DEROK R576 DENNS MAGGI3Date Monday, Jul 10, 2006Duration 4 hours 53 minutesSpeed 452 kts Altitude 36000 feet There must be some special techniques here? With warm ambient that must be pretty near the length limit.I know I should hit the charts but I though I'd get comments.Thanks.

No derated takeoff and probably a bump as well.

Guest tmetzinger

Probably they restrict seats and cargo too so that they don't have a weight problem.

One other interesting item specific to SNA I just read in the August/current Airways is the strictly enforced and monitored noise abatement practices here. They require strict pitch control and once up a few hundred feet a demanding N1 cutback for a few miles.This is wavered of course until lift off but it is an interesting procedure to read about.

probably perform a BLEEDS OFF takeoff regularly during these hot summer days.I always was quite impressed as well with the Varig airlines 737-700s taking off daily form my local airport to S

>Probably they restrict seats and cargo too so that they don't>have a weight problem. >Bingo! :)

Guest JTH

What's a bleeds off takeoff?

I believe a 'bleeds off takeoff" is where trim air and packs and anti-ice etc are off therefore all power from engines is conserved for thrust.Rick

True. That is precisely what bleeds off means. Passangers get kinda hot during initial climb because bleed air is supplied by the APU and only one pack can be operated in this scenario if I'm not mistaken. The engine bleed valves are closed to conserve takeoff thrust. Once you pass a certain point during climbout (not sure where exactly, probably company-specific) you are allowed to open engines' bleed air valves, shutdown the APU and turn on both packs. I don't know about the position of the TRIM air switch though (on aircraft [b738 & B739] equipped with such)Yes, lower density altitude certainly helps! I can't imagine them getting away with a takeoff using a 4000ft runway in a hot, humid 2000 ft high city! :)Best Regards,Victor LimaSBGLhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

And it's a wild proceedure to experience as well.Flew out of SNA many times when I was a FA for HP. Nothing quite like dangling from your seatbelt whilst facing some rather squirmish First Class passengers :)Then the cutback... :-erks

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi