Sign in to follow this  
Guest millimeter

How to perform a "Go around"

Guest millimeter

Hello fellow airmenI'm a bit confused about how the "Go around" works when flying the airplane manually.When everything is set for a landing and everything is configured for a "Go around", and I have the control over the airplane "earning my buck's", what do I do if a "Go Around" is called out?My autopilot is only disconnectet (the big horisontal bar is in the UP position). Can I just press the magic "Go around" button, or do I have to connect the autopilot first?

Lars, this is just a simplified explanation. There are more detailed ones around.As I understand it you have to press the TOGA button, this will bring up the engines thrust provided you still have the AT at least armed and will steer the FD bars. You just follow the FD and when you have a positive rate you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest millimeter

Thanks TordYour answer really enlightend my understanding of the Go around function. I'm printing it out for further use.

Lars - check your mails ;-) But once again for the public...You can hit the go-around button at ANY TIME during the approach, even after touchdown - regardless of whether the autopilot is engaged or not. What the go-around button actually does is quite simple: It's logic changes the flight director's pitch and roll modes to "TO/GA" and the thrust limit to "GA". If the A/T is armed, it'll also engage in "THR REF". All this means a wings level, full-power climb to the altitude dialed in the MCP at Vref + some knots. For different autoflight levels, this means:a) F/D only: You have to follow the F/D crosshairs manually and also move the throttles to max. thrust manually:( F/D + A/T: Thrust is automatically applied, however you still need to carry out the actual go-around maneuverc) A/P + A/T: The airplane automatically executes the go-around maneuver in terms of roll, pitch and thrustSo, if your windscreen suddenly is full of a mountain and you want to initiate a go-around when in manual flight, you'd need to do the following:- Hit the go-around button, check "TO/GA" on the PFD- Smash those throttles fully forward- Immediately retract the flaps to 20 (for drag reduction)- Pull the nose up to follow the flight director bars and establish a climb- Raise the gear, re-select LNAV and VNAV at a safe altitude, retract the flaps on schedule, explain you maneuver to the totally scared passengers in the back and so on...

Lars, further to Holger's comments the GA function is armed when the flaps are out of the up position or the GS is captured. Pushing the TOGA switch activates the go-around. The mode remains active even if you touchdown during the go-around. The TOGA switches are inhibited 2 seconds after radio alt decreases below 5 ft on landing. TOGA is enabled again 3 seconds after radio alt increases thru 5ft (for a rejected TO or Touch and go). One push of the switch will ativate THR mode on the auto throttles and command a 2000ft/min rate of climb. A second push will activate the AT's in THR REF and command full go around thrust.After pressing the TOGA switch select Flap to 20. Positive climb select gear up. Passing 400 ft AGL select LNAV. Passing 1000ft select VNAV. Then sit back and enjoy the ride.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Guest millimeter

Hello Holger and SteveIt is people like you, and every other in a forum like this, that makes the Internet such a great place.Holger - thanks for your time and kind answer through my mail :-)Steve - also many thanks for your time and indepth view into TOGA.

Guest keiron

>Hello Holger and Steve>>It is people like you, and every other in a forum like this,>that makes the Internet such a great place.>>Holger - thanks for your time and kind answer through my mail>:-)>Steve - also many thanks for your time and indepth view into>TOGA. >>Yes i agree, thanks all that helped me alot as well:D